SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Determining the Meridian for Imaging

Went out last night and got some more data on my current target.  The mount did a Meridian flip after 5 images...   What’s the best/easiest way to pre determine if the mount is going to need a flip at some point?    

I tend to find that images all of the same orientation produce better stacks.

Rgds

Aidan

Planetarium software will be able to tell you when a target crosses the meridian. I use Cartes Du Ciel and the meridian line is a nice bright yellow so I can easily tell if it's going to cross :) 

In the world of automation though flips just 'happen' as if by magic!!! :D 

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

It was me being a div...  and looking for a yellow line as per Sara's post!   I'll figure out how to make it more pronounced with a different colour later on!

Thanks all :-)

Sorry! My line isn't yellow at all!!! I thought that it was - You can change the colours though to suit :)

As stated above, any planetarium software will show you when the object is, or will cross, the meridian but a lot (if not all) mounts will image past the meridian.

My CGEM goes upto 15 degrees past the meridian before the doing flip so I can image up to a hour after the object move past the meridian, perhaps you mount does the same, or similar thing??

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

In the world of automation though flips just 'happen' as if by magic!!! :D 

Yes indeed.  I have it setup in SGP... and although i have watched many times do it automatically, If i remember, ill always go and watch it... its quite a process to watch start to finish fully automated

• 3 weeks later...

Archived