Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

75 to 90mm refractors as good as TV76, but cheaper

I would like a Tele Vue 76 or 85 but both are too expensive new. Purpose is both spotting and travel astro. The construction needs to be shock resistant, OTA not too long, and gas low light scatter, little or no chromatic aberration, and good contrast.

Can anyone recommend such an instrument? The Esprit 80 had crossed my mind, but its a bit heavy, though solidly built. Any others?

11 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I would like a Tele Vue 76 or 85 but both are too expensive new. Purpose is both spotting and travel astro. The construction needs to be shock resistant, OTA not too long, and gas low light scatter, little or no chromatic aberration, and good contrast.

Can anyone recommend such an instrument? The Esprit 80 had crossed my mind, but its a bit heavy, though solidly built. Any others?

The equinox 80 is also a very good scope..... I had one for quite some time, it was very impressive ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Equinox 80 would be cool, as it has a retractable dew shield.

Edited by 25585
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I would like a Tele Vue 76 or 85 but both are too expensive new.

Buy a used one then! They are built to last several lifetimes and be serviceable, used prices are much more attractive on TV scopes.

• Like 2

Skywatcher ED80, explore scientific Ed triplet, and the Skywatcher equinox ed80 are the budget options that spring to mind.

• Like 1

Oh, and the Ascension ED80 Triplet stocked by Opticstar looks like good value. this is the only triplet I've owned and the stars were razor sharp.

• Like 2

The Equinox is certainly built to last. Great travel scope too. Sliding dew shield. Excellent colour correction, marginally behind the TV-85 - though it's only one fifth the price.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexbb
      Season greetings!
      Got my 80 Esprit around one week ago and yesterday was the first clear-ish night since. I came to my parents' for Christmas and here the skies are much better. I went to a hill nearby where our galaxy was visible. I had an EQ5 which I didn't polar align very well. I tried to start my RPi3, but it didn't connect to my mobile router so I had to forget about it. I was limited to 15s or 20s subs. The scope is quite heavy, heavier than I expected, it doesn't balance well with a Canon 550D attached. I had to tighten its dovetail towards its end as much as I could and the setup was still camera heavy a bit. Anyways. I left it to cool for maybe half an hour and it didn't reach thermal equilibrium perfectly. Focuser is very good, no slip with the DSLR and tightening it doesn't shift focus. No tilt either.
      I bought my scope from FLO and checked by Es.
      Here are some pictures taken through it, I only had the camera, no visual stuff.
      M45 is 151x15s: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CbAuNQCGkQPSsPB11UOBkye3Y8EnzNDL
      M42 is 14x20s: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dVgAxK8LQ4jXqPDlv2G0CVjV88UnsU9u
      M37 is 10x20s: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iITFwXffhGvAi4dUbE_qR9_9VQVJszPT
      All ISO1600. Darks and bias, no flats.
      Today are exactly 2 years since I took my first astrophoto. Quite some progress since then.
      Clear skies and happy new year!
      Alex

• By alexbb
      Happy to see the stars again last night, though cirrus clouds were everywhere. With some luck I got some (short) time with lower cloud density and I pointed the scope towards the Orion. 32x30s usable longest subs, 15x10s for the core and I also used 14x20s taken on the 25th to remove the big halos caused by the brighter stars seen through clouds. I could not expose longer, I only had my DSLR and my EQ5 mount, no intervalometer.
      The second picture contains some narrowband data I had, which I added in a very small amount to the RGB image. Ha as red and O3 as G and B. This is taken through another lens and it is just an experiment.
      The scope seems to perform very well. I can't wait to see what I can get in proper conditions, but it seems that I have to wait a while for this.
      Clear skies!
      Alex

• By Stu
      Just an example of a typical quick observing session for me, trying to fit it in around 'life'! I have a baby due in a couple of weeks so we are manically preparing the house and nursery for the arrival.
      I set the TV76 and PST up in the garden early on Sunday morning, and during rests from painting skirting boards had some lovely white light and Ha views. My mini giro rig is working very well now, more compact with the shorter CW bar and L bracket.
      During breaks from assembling a flat pack IKEA wardrobe (AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH), I realised there was a double shadow transit on Jupiter last night so thought I would chance my arm at a little evening session too. I popped the PST and Herschel wedge away, put the longer CW bar on and away we went.
      It's amazing the detail visible with such a small scope. Earlier on GRS was clearly visible, with nice detail around where it nestles into the belt, whilst the Ganymede shadow transit was stunningly clear, really jet black. Nice details in the other belt too in moments of good seeing.
      I tried a variety of EPs, and settled in the 3.7 Ethos earlier on (x137) when the seeing was better. Later on the 4 mm radian gave sharper views at x120.
      I watched the double shadow transit at its mid point, Io's shadow smaller and less obvious but still very clear. That's a first for me I think. My last view was as Ganymede's shadow was about to exit the disk, but the seeing had dropped off by then.
      Packed away very quickly and off to bed. It's great to be able to view these events with minimum hassle. I know the detail is not what you would get in a larger scope, but if the choice is that or nothing, I'll take the small scope option every time.
      Cheers,
      Stu

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.