Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fullerscope Mount

"A" class mirrors were by David Hinds or Oldham Optics I believe. They were what I had, about 1/8th wave. They went as standard in the Export OTAs (which had white tubes & finish) as are pictured in the catalogue.

Extra cost for A class trim on standard tubes, tube ring, mirror access door, tube end trim.

The motor drive you can see in the photo is the Export version. Standard was done in the same black wrinkle finish as mount etc. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, trynda1701 said:

The images of the catalogue ( think I still have a copy somewhere) take me back. Like others have said, in late70s/early 80s, I drooled over the scopes therein, and bounced back and forth between the 6" reflector or a four inch refractor! Couldn't afford them, of course.

Eventually got a 6 inch mirror from Astro Systems(?) and made my own dobsonian with chipboard shelves! Saw Halleys' with that, and kept that till I got my C8 in about 1990.

Makes me sad to hear what I fantasized over may have been a let down. What were the mirrors and lenses like, and did anyone here have a 6 inch reflector or 3 or 4 inch refractor from the catalogue?

@CraigT82

Does your scope has original mirror, or a modern one?

Mark

Certainly not a let down!  The mirrors in mine are original and are the B grade, so around 1/6th wave probably which is on par or slightly better than modern chinese mass produced units in the likes of skywatcher/celestron etc.  They've recently been recoated, and from what I've seen so far serve up lovely sharp and contrasty views.  On my first night with it I pointed it at the trapezium in orion and could see the E and F stars whilst hardly trying (which actually probably says more about the seeing than the mirrors!) and the nebulosity of M42 had an internal structure that I've never seen before in my 8" skywatcher.

The collimation of both primary and secondary is much easier than my skywatcher, and the OTA is lighter to boot. It has been fitted with a modern dual speed crayford though... I'm not a complete luddite :) 

41 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Certainly not a let down!  The mirrors in mine are original and are the B grade, so around 1/6th wave probably which is on par or slightly better than modern chinese mass produced units in the likes of skywatcher/celestron etc.  They've recently been recoated, and from what I've seen so far serve up lovely sharp and contrasty views.  On my first night with it I pointed it at the trapezium in orion and could see the E and F stars whilst hardly trying (which actually probably says more about the seeing than the mirrors!) and the nebulosity of M42 had an internal structure that I've never seen before in my 8" skywatcher.

I stand corrected then.

4 hours ago, trynda1701 said:

The images of the catalogue ( think I still have a copy somewhere) take me back. Like others have said, in late70s/early 80s, I drooled over the scopes therein, and bounced back and forth between the 6" reflector or a four inch refractor! Couldn't afford them, of course.

Eventually got a 6 inch mirror from Astro Systems(?) and made my own dobsonian with chipboard shelves! Saw Halleys' with that, and kept that till I got my C8 in about 1990.

Makes me sad to hear what I fantasized over may have been a let down. What were the mirrors and lenses like, and did anyone here have a 6 inch reflector or 3 or 4 inch refractor from the catalogue?

Mark

I have the same fond memories of that catalogue too (must still have a copy somewhere) and did eventually get the 6.25in "export" newtonian. Here is a thread I posted about "second light"! :

I certainly wasn't disappointed by it. A great scope that gave me much satisfaction. Compared with modern, mass produced offerings it was a bit "rough and ready" in style and finish but optically excellent. The reason we all drooled over that catalogue is because there were very few affordable options back then. Fullerscopes deserve their place in history :)

My fullerscope lives at the side of my bed at our luxury Cumbrian villa. Stood on end protected by two heavy weight polythene builders rubble sacks. The mount lives outside in the shadow of a north facing dry stone wall with a tarp over it. 

All my earliest memories of astronomy centre around Fullerscopes. My local club had a 8.75” grey tube on a MkII with RA drive. First proper scope I looked though and blew my socks off. Had only used a 50mm Tasco up to that point. Then saved my Saturday job money and in 1989 bought a white 10” Fullerscopes newt on a MkIII mount with dual drives. It was beast of a scope and totally 100% impractical for an 18 year old. Couldn’t get in the Beetle, so it was stuck at home. But it was fantastic. 

I remember seeing small folding brouchers with Tasco scopes, and thought those where cool till I saw the Fullerscopes catalogue.

That OP of the mount that started this thread has brought back lots of memories. Almost tempted to start a new thread to see how many forum members had/ still have Fullerscopes telescopes in use.

Mark

EDIT: And I have just created such a thread...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/310907-fullerscopes-telescopes-still-in-use/

Post away!

Archived