Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium on W10

Uranium235

Having upgraded to W10 recently, I've noticed an issue with Stellarium and they way it displays text - in all areas (menus, labels and markers)... in that its almost completely unreadable.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried altering the font type and size in the the config file, but its still very difficult to read. Just hoping that anyone had come up with a fix for this (apart from installing an older version).

I might have a go at changing the resolution, to see if that has any effect - but for now im stumped!

System info:

W10, Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 1060

5 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Rob

Late to the party... ;) You shouldn't have issues - was it a clean install? Can you use the snipping tool to show us some of your Stellarium screen, as it's displayed for you?

Louise

Yep, its a (very) clean install. Everything is brand spanking new, including the graphics card (GTX 1060). I'll go with the first suggestion of an open GL issue, but Im thinking it might also be something to do with the font scaling.... I'll have another tinker with it now.

Ahhhh... now then, now then!!

There seems to be another couple of "modes" in which to start Stellarium - (ANGLE and MESA mode). Ive just tried both of those and its much improved over the default.

Here is the default: (horrible)

default.jpg.275ea018db7e1135b5e20839129b6dba.jpg

And here is ANGLE mode: (whatever that is!)

5a92cba4dcfa5_anglemode.png.012f4a3d8c7bb8ed443fca9006af6b5e.png

Just found the explanation of both modes... Im not usually one for reading instructions though...lol:

Stellarium (ANGLE mode) Uses Direct3D translation of the OpenGL rendering via ANGLE
library. Forces Direct3D version 9.

Stellarium (MESA mode) Uses software rendering via MESA library. This should work on any
PC without dedicated graphics card.

Bit puzzled as to why it doesnt work in default mode though, as so far this new system has made total mincemeat out of everything I've thrown at it. If anyone is thinking about upgrading to a Ryzen based system, my message to you is.... "its good, very good!" :)  the only downside being that you have to upgrade every other component of the system to remove any bottlenecks. I went with DDR4 2600, GTX 1060 and a Samsung Evo M.2 SSD (ridiculously fast).... its ready to log in before the monitor has had a chance to warm up properly...lol.

Edit:

One other thing though.... if youre going with the latest generation of mobo and processor... forget trying to install W7, it just wont have it. You can probably do it later as a dual boot, but W10 has to go on first (due to driver issues).

Here's mine - default, on-board graphics (intel hd 630), just to compare :)

sirius.thumb.PNG.72ed622d3de76d0ed633c1e738debacc.PNG

Looks about the same as your original one, Rob! It's a .png and is degraded from the actual screen display.

ps the non uploaded .png is much clearer! So some losses displaying via the lounge...

Louise

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Mine would only run properly using the GTX1050ti, did you try running it with the GTX1060 ?

Dave

Yep, its running on the GTX 1060 now (which btw is a nice gfx card!). It was exactly the same with my old Radeon R7 360, so its probably down to the OS as it always ran perfecly on XP and W7. I had to ditch the R7, becuase although quite alright - I wanted to max out my gaming FPS (namely Destiny 2).

Here are the 3dmark 11 results for the new system: (the Ryzen has been O/C to 3.5ghz)

3dmark.thumb.jpg.23a66d907fccf9b1b5dc9cfcf54e0860.jpg

A nice bonus is that with 12 processing threads it makes for some serious number-crunching power when it comes to image processing :) not that all software utillizes it... though I have found that APP does (currently got it on 30day trial).

Might be worth doing some display setting tweaks.

Go to control panel - fonts - adjust clear type text. Make sure clear type is on and go through the setup routine. It can have a huge effect with some displays.

No problem here with W10, straight screen grab so zoom to see the font as displayed here.

image.thumb.png.b130e6c91488d8666b80044499794ee7.png

I do have problems on my laptop - the mouse pointer disappears when in full screen mode which wouldn't be too bad except it always starts full screen and it rarely responds to F11 to change to a smaller window.

2 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Yep, its running on the GTX 1060 now (which btw is a nice gfx card!). It was exactly the same with my old Radeon R7 360, so its probably down to the OS as it always ran perfecly on XP and W7. I had to ditch the R7, becuase although quite alright - I wanted to max out my gaming FPS (namely Destiny 2).

Here are the 3dmark 11 results for the new system: (the Ryzen has been O/C to 3.5ghz)

3dmark.thumb.jpg.23a66d907fccf9b1b5dc9cfcf54e0860.jpg

A nice bonus is that with 12 processing threads it makes for some serious number-crunching power when it comes to image processing :) not that all software utillizes it... though I have found that APP does (currently got it on 30day trial).

Nice, beats my laptop...

aa1.thumb.png.9847861c6e13670f9063d396762adfb0.png

Alan

35 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Might be worth doing some display setting tweaks.

Go to control panel - fonts - adjust clear type text. Make sure clear type is on and go through the setup routine. It can have a huge effect with some displays.

No problem here with W10, straight screen grab so zoom to see the font as displayed here.

I do have problems on my laptop - the mouse pointer disappears when in full screen mode which wouldn't be too bad except it always starts full screen and it rarely responds to F11 to change to a smaller window.

Just given it a go, and loaded up the default mode of Stellarium - no joy im afraid!

Its definitely something related to openGL since using Angle mode fixes the issue (uses Direct3d instead of openGL). Im still getting to grips with W10 TBH, and on refelction - its actually quite good! Not bad for just 20 quid. But the setup tool was a bit buggy, I ended up having to burn a DVD in order to get it to work (removable storage didnt like it).

14 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Nice, beats my laptop...

aa1.thumb.png.9847861c6e13670f9063d396762adfb0.png

Alan

Not bad for a laptop! (what processor?)

One thing that nobody told me about with Nvidia cards though was that they oprate on DVI-D only, and my monitor is DVI-I (which is supported by all ATI cards). So I had to spend a bit more on getting a HDMI to DVI-I adaptor, which skewed the gamma and colour a bit. I had to faff around with the calibration for a while to get it to look the way it used to.

Originally, I wanted one of the new ATI cards - but their prices are waaay over-inflated due to bitcoin mining.

14 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Not bad for a laptop! (what processor?)

One thing that nobody told me about with Nvidia cards though was that they oprate on DVI-D only, and my monitor is DVI-I (which is supported by all ATI cards). So I had to spend a bit more on getting a HDMI to DVI-I adaptor, which skewed the gamma and colour a bit. I had to faff around with the calibration for a while to get it to look the way it used to.

Originally, I wanted one of the new ATI cards - but their prices are waaay over-inflated due to bitcoin mining.

Hi Rob, the processor is an i7, details here. I have 16Gb of RAM at the moment but it does me.

Untitled.png.7188be10e91f98e5fadbdc97466f5f91.png

I agree that the extra oomph of a dedicated graphics card does make a difference when processing images as well as games of course.

Alan

Archived