Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Stu

Where are the loppers?

As per the heads up, GRS was transiting at 6.02am this morning, so with the promise of clear skies the alarm was set.

I was too lazy to setup the AZGTi further down the garden, which would have been better, so I was stuck closer to the house and trees with the scope on the Giro-WR.

Lovely views right from the start really, GRS heading for the meridian showing some nice colour although not as dramatic as I've seen it in the past. I could see the white separation between GRS and SEB, north and south polar regions and what I assume was the South Temperate belt and Zone. Hints of a festoon dropping into the Equatorial Band.

This was another occasion when I tried cyclops first, then switched to the binoviewers to see if I preferred it. Binoviewing, on this occasion, definitely made the detail easier to access although that has not always been the case for me. I was at x230 ish and floaters were well controlled.

I thought the seeing dropped off after a while, until I defocussed and realized I was observing through the twigs of one of our trees! Amazing that I could still see some detail even then. Loppers required before the next outing I think, plus putting the other pillar extension on!

What a lovely way to start the day. Blackbird singing his heart out and the gulls floating gently overhead on their way to the reservoirs. The Parakeets had yet to start their noisy morning commute!

Two last surprises. I thought Saturn might be visible, and did catch it just before it was occulted by......my house! OK views but good just to see it again.

Finally, despite it being quite light at gone 6am, Arcturus was clear and I could also still see Izar so I popped the scope onto it. What a beautiful sight! Very well controlled faint diffraction ring around Izar and its secondary was as clear as I've seen it, lovely separation and nice almost greenish blue colour to my eye. It has always been bluish grey to me, so perhaps just a trick of the daylight. Great way to finish off, then back in for a warming cuppa and a little three year old who wanted a cuddle :).

• Like 15

Yes, twigs always enhance the viewing experience, don't they?

"a lovely way to start the day"? If it was anything like it was here, it was certainly a cold way to start the day! A six-layer morning for me.

Glad you got your view of Saturn - still waiting for my first this year - always lifts the spirits and reminds me why I do this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

A six-layer morning for me.

I think I was at five, but then I do have some 'built-in' insulation ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nice morning report Stu. :) No luck last night with any views, apart from very brief, fleeting views of the moon through very sparse breaks in the clouds which didn’t even merit getting the binos out. Hoping for at least a little time this evening (fingers crossed!).  

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for you. I've had three sessions this week, albeit two of them relatively short, but have had some great views.

• Like 1

I'm jealous Stu! I did catch a glimpse of Jupiter this morning through the window though......

Chris

• Like 1

The loppers and bowsaw were gainfully employed in my garden yesterday for the very same reasons...  :D

• Haha 1

It was a nice this morning perfectly positioned at around 6am, no Parakeets around here. My session was accompanied by a distant rooster from around 5 though, quite a pleasant sound as well.  

• Like 1

Neat ! Dodging the ecliptic here. 30 ft oak in the school a few doors down and Madame's two rownans . Not allowed to touch them as they are " magical trees " and have the power to be "cursed upon ". Certainly do some of that !

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I set the alarm and got up but the clouds stepped in and I missed it, the clouds have cleared now though so some solar is on the Sunday menu ?

• Like 1

Nice report Stu, no chance here, in for 2 days of snow so they say and minus lots. Been cloudy for a week now, most strange.

alan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Loppers required before the next outing I think

Lol.........I used a bow saw, surprisingly quick,  and before I knew it, half a tree was on my lawn? 

• Haha 1

Great report Stu, must really motivate my self for a morning run at Jupiter and mars.. just so tired lately and out to work for half6.. still a little one on the way in April should give me plenty of opportune early mornings..

I've just had the garden completely stripped of trellis and concrete to aid with observing, nice lawn now so I don't think a quick lopping of a branch or two is overly drastic!

Ta

Fozzie 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

must really motivate my self for a morning run at Jupiter and mars.

It's the first time I've managed to drag myself out of bed this time round. Worth doing :) 

Getting an early morning session before work is quite refreshing, I have managed quite a few of late ? The only downside is having to go to work afterward ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

great observing report. I went out this morning too. Started with Jupiter but seeing was incredibly poor. Best view came at 100x with a 15mm RKE. But only in brief moments of clarity but could see the GRS.

I keep my loppers in the garage but are not needed for astronomy as I have street light shining into front garden and two into the back garden!

Peter