Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where are the loppers?

Stu

As per the heads up, GRS was transiting at 6.02am this morning, so with the promise of clear skies the alarm was set.

I was too lazy to setup the AZGTi further down the garden, which would have been better, so I was stuck closer to the house and trees with the scope on the Giro-WR.

Lovely views right from the start really, GRS heading for the meridian showing some nice colour although not as dramatic as I've seen it in the past. I could see the white separation between GRS and SEB, north and south polar regions and what I assume was the South Temperate belt and Zone. Hints of a festoon dropping into the Equatorial Band.

This was another occasion when I tried cyclops first, then switched to the binoviewers to see if I preferred it. Binoviewing, on this occasion, definitely made the detail easier to access although that has not always been the case for me. I was at x230 ish and floaters were well controlled.

I thought the seeing dropped off after a while, until I defocussed and realized I was observing through the twigs of one of our trees! Amazing that I could still see some detail even then. Loppers required before the next outing I think, plus putting the other pillar extension on!

What a lovely way to start the day. Blackbird singing his heart out and the gulls floating gently overhead on their way to the reservoirs. The Parakeets had yet to start their noisy morning commute!

Two last surprises. I thought Saturn might be visible, and did catch it just before it was occulted by......my house! OK views but good just to see it again.

Finally, despite it being quite light at gone 6am, Arcturus was clear and I could also still see Izar so I popped the scope onto it. What a beautiful sight! Very well controlled faint diffraction ring around Izar and its secondary was as clear as I've seen it, lovely separation and nice almost greenish blue colour to my eye. It has always been bluish grey to me, so perhaps just a trick of the daylight. Great way to finish off, then back in for a warming cuppa and a little three year old who wanted a cuddle :).

Yes, twigs always enhance the viewing experience, don't they?

"a lovely way to start the day"? If it was anything like it was here, it was certainly a cold way to start the day! A six-layer morning for me.

Glad you got your view of Saturn - still waiting for my first this year - always lifts the spirits and reminds me why I do this.

Nice morning report Stu. :) No luck last night with any views, apart from very brief, fleeting views of the moon through very sparse breaks in the clouds which didn’t even merit getting the binos out. Hoping for at least a little time this evening (fingers crossed!).  

Great report Stu, must really motivate my self for a morning run at Jupiter and mars.. just so tired lately and out to work for half6.. still a little one on the way in April should give me plenty of opportune early mornings..

I've just had the garden completely stripped of trellis and concrete to aid with observing, nice lawn now so I don't think a quick lopping of a branch or two is overly drastic!

Ta

Fozzie 

16 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

must really motivate my self for a morning run at Jupiter and mars.

It's the first time I've managed to drag myself out of bed this time round. Worth doing :) 

Archived