Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does it *ever* get relaxing?

Girders

When I started down this road in November last year due to my 4 year old daughter’s interest in space, I genuinely thought this would be a relaxing way to spend some time.  How wrong was I???

With a small scope and a fair amount of light pollution my targets are limited to the moon and planets, and with so few clear nights (and fewer still with good seeing) every time I get out feels so rushed...

Got to get a good view before...the sun comes up, I have to go to bed/work, it dips behind those trees, my hands freeze off.  And as I’m very much still learning the ropes I’m constantly switching eyepieces with/without Barlow, moon filter etc, or swapping targets.  

Even though I *know* my best chance of getting great views is to stay disciplined and give it time, it always feels that it’s time I don’t have.  I know a large part is my own nature but wondered if it’s just me - and if it will get better?  I’m hoping once Jupiter, Mars and Saturn start appearing late at night rather than early morning I’ll feel like I have more time to play with but I’m worried the shorter summer nights will impact on that.

So, really my question is... will this hobby ever be relaxing, or will there always be a large element of time pressure? Or is this really just me?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to view it maybe as just a hobby, I find as well having an interest in all aspects of astronomy also helps. The conditions are not going to be very good most of the time in the UK. The planets are currently very low, making viewing even harder. Light pollution is a real pain, even in towns!

The summer nights certainly do making sessions very short and very late, at least its going to be hot, warmer :icon_biggrin:

There is a sense in which, I think, it never does. There is so much to see and we only have one lifetime in which to see it :icon_biggrin:

That said, I think that it is possible to manage the pressure. For me, the breakthrough came when I decided I would start imaging. That is so time-consuming, I only ever have time for one object at a time. Every time I set up, I know what I am going to image and how I am going to approach it. This forced me to plan my sessions rather than just going out and then deciding what I was going to do.

I am not suggesting you move to imaging, but I suspect the same "planning" approach could help to slow things down a little.

Do you sketch at all? I can't draw for toffee, but I have found that making some kind of paper-copy of what I have seen can have the same effect. An open cluster "drawn" as just a set of 'X's to represent the relative positions of the stars within it, will slow you down, forcing you to actually see what you are looking at. Maybe it will be something you would never want anyone else to see (most of my "drawings" fall into that category), but it can still give a sense of accomplishment.

I remember those feelings very well. So much to see, so little time. I’d have a list of 10 things I wanted to see and manage about 2. I came up with a strategy where I’d always start and finish each session with a target I knew. The target at the start would get me going and take the initial pressure off as I’d at least seen something! The target at the end would mean that I always ended a session with a win. M42 and M45 are good targets for this as they’re easily found. The same goes for the Moon and brighter planets. The other good thing about this strategy is you do a lot of revisiting targets. As you become more familiar with individual targets you will start to notice more detail. This will also give you an indication of what conditions are like on a particular night. If you can’t see as much nebulosity in M42 as normal then it’s probably not a good night to go hunting for nebula. 

You’ll pick up this experience with each session and then you’ll start to notice that you’re more relaxed. Time will still pass quickly though ;) 

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have a young family too and it does always feel like you are trying to fit around something else.

I think my most relaxing observing sessions are when I'm away on holiday camping with the children. When the older ones were younger I would get them to bed then observe at leisure until the early hours, knowing I had a lie in in the morning. As they got older they would stay up with me and count satellites and shooting stars and just be good company. Viewing the Milky Way and associated objects in late summer when the skies get properly dark but it is still warm is my favourite time of year.

At home, I find planetary and solar observing the most relaxing. Planets are not as much fun at the moment as they have been in the past due to their low altitude, the views just aren't as good unfortunately but they will get better in future. I find it most relaxing when I have decided on what kit and eyepiece I'm going to use and just concentrate on getting the most detail. At best, when really focused, I find my breathing slows and heart rate drops as I forget about everything else. Happens with Jupiter and solar observing most frequently, nice.

If time is limited and there is work to consider, it can seem like you're under a bit of pressure, so maybe planning times and targets would help.  Because of this approach, I seldom feel unrelaxed, and instead, get into a sort of meditative state where I'm totally absorbed and lose track of time.

You mention constantly changing EPs, but most observing is done (and is actually more satisfying) at lower mags, especially when hunting things down, so just try using 2 or 3 EPs giving up to say x120.  (I personally wouldn't use a Barlow, but that depends on the EPs you possess.)

One other thing - targets.  You have gone for the Moon and planets, but open clusters are beautiful, easy targets, well within your grasp.

Relax and enjoy!

Doug.

I find breaking sessions up with different things to observe helps things not feel like you always hunting for things (with the resulting lack of success especially when hunting faint DSO,s). So for 1 session I’ll concentrate on double stars in a particular constellation (one that’s in a good position to observe), and look for good/easy doubles, of which there are many to observe, even when conditions are quite poor for everything else. For another session I will concentrate on any planets viewable (not much at the moment until early morning), and then some lunar work to finish off as once blinded by viewing the moon there’s not much else you can observe well anyway. The lunar 100 is a good thing to start with to give you an easier target that is also much easier to observe. Some people curse the moon, but use it rather as another opportunity to observe its surface; there is always loads more to see and find on it, especially with the changing light at the moons terminator. Then another session may be dedicated to some DSO work when I see that conditions might be fruitful. I am lucky however that I can mix things up quite a lot as I usually observe with my goto mount with any scope (except when using my large 120mm ‘frac which is too large for the goto). 

Yes. It does calm down. Astro is one of the few hobbies that family bliss doesn’t have to completely screw up! I’m now at the stage (oldest is 9) where I’m looking forward to taking a couple of the larger offspring to a star party. 

The important thing to remember, is that no matter how hectic your life becomes. The cosmos continues unhurried. Observing isn’t a race. Don’t put pressure on yourself by preparing long lists of ‘must see tonight’ objects. Have a few identified for the season and take time to enjoy the old favourites. 

Paul

PS. Invest in some really warm socks.

For starters, you need to be comfortable ie adequately clothed at this time of year, or viewing on warm evenings in Spring or Autumn. A hot drink helps.

Decide on a limited target/targets and enjoy the view; sprinting round the sky with a goto is great fun I'm told, but maybe not relaxing.

It's a hobby - enjoy & Clear Skies!

Chris

31 minutes ago, Girders said:

Thanks for all the great replies and tips.  Although I think I'll have to take the answer as "not really" at least I know I'm in good company!

Some very good advice here and I think that the ‘not really’ conclusion is about right. It can’t be totally relaxing in that you have to  concentrate and think things through in order to get the best out of observing. It’s not like switching on the telly and immediately getting results.

But in that concentrating does come the relaxation. You stop thinking of other things and lose yourself in what you are doing and seeing.

i also agree that it is only a hobby and don’t ever feel pressured. If you don’t fancy getting out and observing then don’t. There are other things - like staying in bed! 

Above all - enjoy. 

Be prepared for 'knock-backs'.....  from slightly inaccurate weather forecasts  (cough-splutter!!!)  to forgetting to remove the focusing mask....  I could list a top hundred.

Anyway..... it is not the end of the world...... unless you see the extinction event asteroid homing in on you !!..... this hobby does make you incredibly even tempered and accepting of your place in the cosmos...  although at times the red mists do develop and I'm not talking about the Orion Nebula.

Relaxing? Maybe not ever, but it can be very rewarding and leave you with a sense of achievment. It's not always an easy hobby, in fact at times it can be hard and frustrating and out of that comes a sense of achievment.

As others have mentioned it can be an up hill struggle, coping with the weather and the other commitments in your life. I am pretty much in awe of some observers who seem to manage about 8 hours observing/imaging a night 7 nights a week! Okay maybe a slight exaggeration I know, but I never feel I ever manage to get in enough time on this hobby. I used to beat myself up a bit about it and if ever a clear night presented it's self and Incouldn't get out or maybe just didn't fancy it for what ever reason I was always left with a slight sense of guilt. I'm less tough on myself these days and as has been said, it's a hobby, its supposed to be fun, but it's not the be all and end all. As Pete mentioned, having an interest in all aspects of astronomy helps fill the gaps when you can't for what ever reason do the actual practical stuff.

Having said all that....come the nice warm summers evenings (okay I know there's not so many hours of darkness?)....it's so much more a relaxing hobby than it is at the moment with the freezing weather....so in this respect...roll on summer!

Steve

1 hour ago, Girders said:

So, really my question is... will this hobby ever be relaxing (...) ? Or is this really just me?

Yes. :happy11: It's Just You.

It gets better. It's mostly in the mind. You don't relax because it gets better. It gets better because you learn to relax.

It sounds flippant (if not worse), but learning not to take it all too seriously is serious business and essential to success.

Look up at the night sky. What are you to all that? Surely, this joke is on you.

"Who is that, there on that tiny rock, orbiting that tiny star, gazing outwards in expectation?", booms the voice.

"Just me."

"Very well. Perhaps there's something for you tonight."

:happy9:

Is walking relaxing? You might say, Yes....

5a92819eb6fd2_Pennineway.JPG.07857a207d58534021723f7d86ab424d.JPG

Or you might say No - or even - :eek::eek::eek:!!!!!

5a9281e6aff28_Aiguilledumidi.JPG.b66cb63fa53cfcf5ec7c976eab7dc33e.JPG

It depends on where you are doing it. I've always found walking in Derbyshire relaxing and walking down that ice edge terrifying. Call me a wuss!

A dark clear sky with open horizons and a good forecast allows you to choose how relaxing you want your observing to be. You can mix time at the scope with naked eye time and time with binoculars. You can use GoTo or star hop. You can have a long list of targets or a short one. Faint targets or bright ones.

Olly

12 minutes ago, alan potts said:

It must be difficult to cope with the summer nights up there in Scotland, I have been and it was not even dark at 11.30 and I dare say is getting light again a 2.30am.

Alan

I'm not quite sure of the practicalities of summer observing yet, but right now I'd happily swap two hours warm-ish observing between midnight and 2am for my current slots between 5am and 6:30am in -3!

27 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Look up at the night sky. What are you to all that? Surely, this joke is on you.

"Who is that, there on that tiny rock, orbiting that tiny star, gazing outwards in expectation?", booms the voice.

"Just me."

"Very well. Perhaps there's something for you tonight."

:happy9:

Thanks, Mike - you've made me feel connected with a higher Cosmic Essence!

Doug.

It can all seem a bit rushed and frustrating, especially observing near dawn and before work, as you're up against a time limit.

The nights I find most relaxing are those when I choose just a couple of targets and stick with those. 

Sitting down helps as well, if you're more comfortable you're more relaxed.

The two most relaxing things for me are just sitting watching shooting stars, and recently I've had a go at sketching. The drawings are rubbish but by just concentrating on one thing I ended up really relaxed at the end. Keep it simple :smile:

34 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Is walking relaxing? You might say, Yes....

5a92819eb6fd2_Pennineway.JPG.07857a207d58534021723f7d86ab424d.JPG

Or you might say No - or even - :eek::eek::eek:!!!!!

5a9281e6aff28_Aiguilledumidi.JPG.b66cb63fa53cfcf5ec7c976eab7dc33e.JPG

It depends on where you are doing it. I've always found walking in Derbyshire relaxing and walking down that ice edge terrifying. Call me a wuss!

A dark clear sky with open horizons and a good forecast allows you to choose how relaxing you want your observing to be. You can mix time at the scope with naked eye time and time with binoculars. You can use GoTo or star hop. You can have a long list of targets or a short one. Faint targets or bright ones.

Olly

I don't know Olly, what a place to put one of your pillar mounts:icon_biggrin:.

Alan

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

It must be difficult to cope with the summer nights up there in Scotland, I have been and it was not even dark at 11.30 and I dare say is getting light again a 2.30am.

Alan

......Ouch! the gentle reminder, cheers Alan.

When I lived further over on the West coast Sunset over the sea was really late, like you say not much before midnight, and there was no real darkness at all.

Below, a shot taken from my present address, and its not to dissimilar,  but losing sight of the visual Sun quicker, due to the higher ground of the Highlands, but twilight is a real issue here during the height of Summer, which is why my scope is out of action for many Months of the Year!
Even Ursa Major on the brighter nights is barely visible ?

gallery_31769_2737_630727.jpg

Archived