Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

pbyrne

Binoviewer adventures.

Some weeks back ebay had a William Optics binoviewer and 20mm eyepieces for sale, I put in a cheeky bid and expected it to be rejected.  Surprisingly it was accepted.  I planned to use them on the moon and planets.

When they arrived I attached them to my 127mm mak, focussed on a distant chimney pot and everything looked good.

The first night the moon was out, popped the binoviewers in the scope in high expectation and I could not get the images to merge, no matter what I tried, nothing worked.  I was seriously disappointed and I thought that was why my bid was accepted, they were defective.

I looked at SGL and Cloudynights for a solutuon, I thought they were out of collimation, I have fixed binoculars that were out of collimation, but the binoculars could not be collimated.

Perhaps I was crazy, but I bought a pair of 15mm plossls, I must have been mad, seeing as I could not get them to work.

Today was clear, tested them again on the chimney pot and again the images merged.  The moon was out, nervously I put the binoviewers in the scope, they still would not merge.  I tweaked the IPD, turned the eyepieces in the holder and then it happened, they merged. Oh, what joy.  Inserted the 15mm plossls and they merged.  I was a happy chappie.

For the following few hours I toured the moon, the focal length of the mak is 1500mm the binoviewers bring that up to 2000mm.  The views were stunning, I spent a good twenty minutes staring down on Copernicus from above with the movement of the shadows creeping across the floor.  Clavius, Tycho, Plato, the Straight Wall, all magical.  The 3D effect was evident, the shadows sharper, the crater runs crisp, everything so much better.

The great thing about binoviewers is the comfort, using two eyes there is no eye strain, the sense of relaxation is evident and everything is easier.

I cannot see myself ever going back to single eye viewing and I cannot wait to observe the planets.

Thanks for your time.

• Like 10

Great write-up! I have yet to try the joy of binoviewers, but I have heard many good things about them and this certainly sounds like one! I saw a video on youtube once where a guy put glasses of some sort on one of the eyepieces and it made it even more 3d-like. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Found it! Skip to 2:35 and 3:25 (only if you want to miss out on some serious telescope footage!!)

Not that I want you to spend even more money, but I think I would make a good seller:icon_biggrin:

Clear skies!

Edited by Victor Boesen
Found the video I mentioned

Great write up there @pbyrne. Binoviewers do work wel with Maks because there are no issues with inwards focus. I'm glad you managed to get the images merged finally; I've had problems with certain models before, just found it too fiddly but have settled on some now which work for me.

Aswell as relaxation, they reallynfelp reduce the affect of floaters when using high power, so in the moon that really helps. To date I've not got on with mine for planetary viewing but hopefully will one day!

I rarely look at the moon or sun with one eyepiece now. Binoviewers are superb. I use plossls too and find sometimes I struggle to merge. It's usually not having the bvs perfectly aligned in one way or another (or red wine).

• Like 1

If the image won't merge, perhaps you should move to white wine or a light rose.

12 minutes ago, pbyrne said:

If the image won't merge, perhaps you should move to white wine or a light rose.

Or just move to double stars; guaranteed success ;) 

• Like 1