Narrowband

Advice on fitting a Finder Guider

Pluto1948

Hi 

I am trying to think of ways to fit a Finder/Guider to my TAL 150K and thought I would put it out for advice, I have thought of using a Skywatcher 9x50 finder scope modified to take a QHY5iiL, I have a spare skywatcher mounting plate which I thought could be attached to the rear OTA clamp by drilling and tapping it , but don't know this would weaken it too much. I have pics o show what I propose any better ideas would really welcome.

Thanks

DSC_2807.JPG

DSC_2806.JPG

DSC_2805.JPG

DSC_2804.JPG

I may be wrong, but isn't that guide camera a little short for the OTA that you will be using.

On my Esprit 80 I have a similar shoe, but use an Altair 60mm guide Camera which has a FL 225mm with the Esprit having a 400mm FL

With my Esprit 100 I use an ST80 which has a focal length of 400mm and the esprit is 550mm

The only one that I maybe a bit short on is using an ST80 with my 8" RC which has a FL of 1625mm but I may well move over to an OAG for that so there won't be a problem.

I think I read on here that you should aim for your guide camera to be roughly half of the main OTA length, but I could be wrong, it has been known ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to try guiding at 1.5m focal length with the SW O-ring finder bracket you might as well use your blu-tack mounting solution permanently for all the good it's going to do you.  You really need to have a set of solid rings or at the very least (but still not ideal) a pair of three-point rings like you have for the existing finder otherwise it's going be flapping around like a wet sock.  Bear in mind that the guider and main scope do not have to be particularly well aligned for guiding so adjustment is not really a concern, mechanical rigidity certainly is.

Archived