SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I need a new pc.

Hi,

My PC is struggling with any sort of image processing now, it is old and low spec now. Windows 7 64bit, AMD Athlon II X4 Proc 2.80ghz and only 4gig of ram ! It did run the trial version of PixInsight ok but was a bit slow on some of the processes. Been trying Star Tools but just keeps crashing :-( I would like to get the full version of PixInsight but I need a better pc first. 

Any suggestions ? 

Do I really need i7 or i9 can I get away with a i5 ?

I just need the pc, got two decent 24" monitors etc.

29 minutes ago, SAW said:

Hi,

My PC is struggling with any sort of image processing now, it is old and low spec now. Windows 7 64bit, AMD Athlon II X4 Proc 2.80ghz and only 4gig of ram ! It did run the trial version of PixInsight ok but was a bit slow on some of the processes. Been trying Star Tools but just keeps crashing :-( I would like to get the full version of PixInsight but I need a better pc first. 

Any suggestions ? 

Do I really need i7 or i9 can I get away with a i5 ?

I just need the pc, got two decent 24" monitors etc.

Wouldn’t hurt upgrading you should get away with an i5. You’d need abit of more ram as well I’d imagine.

I have a couple Lenovo T420 thinkpads with i5 processors one with 4 and the other 16 gigs of ram, these work anything I throw at them, PS any process takes seconds, is pixinsight that demanding, I also run Windows 7 as my IT mate don't rate the other operating programs.

Even my older T410 with 4 gig worked well, never even thought of it being too slow, that though now does all the obsevatory tasks. I guess the bigger the better and the faster but I see no reason to change mine yet.

Alan

Humble 3.4 GHz quad i5 user with a measly 8 gig RAM here. Handles large images and RAW processing fine. DSS with an average of 30 secs processing.

Look at some of the good refurbs you can pick up from Amazon, etc. Got mine for £164 inc. shipping.

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

I have a couple Lenovo T420 thinkpads with i5 processors one with 4 and the other 16 gigs of ram, these work anything I throw at them, PS any process takes seconds, is pixinsight that demanding, I also run Windows 7 as my IT mate don't rate the other operating programs.

Epic machines, built like brick outhouses, cheap as chips and they are still doing well. With aluminium casing, they're the TALs of the laptop world! :D

6 minutes ago, kev said:

Before you do anything expensive, given youre running 64Bit, double the Ram to 8Gb

Thought about doing this or just use the money towards a refurbed machine.

Not sure if these would be ok,

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-group-elite-black-16gb-2x8gb-ddr3-pc3-12800c11-1600mhz-dual-channel-kit-tpkd316g1600hc11dc01-my-034-tg.html

I have an Atik Horizon camera (large sensor 4,644 x 3,506p) and despite its huge data demands my Intel NUC i5 comfortable handles it. I have 4GB ram and a terragig of storage. I gather from a pal that an i3 processor is suffice to run his very similar ZWO AS1600MC. However, it is doubtful if you can reduce the computing power much below this for any cameras with a hgh specification. But this post is intended to highlight an often forgotten field computing issue. Power...

I commenced with a 97Wh rated 2-Power 16v-19v  27Ah power bank. The i5 Intel NUC typically requires 40w - 50W at peak load. This power unit hence couldn't offer me beyond 3 hours. The capacity of Celestron and Skywatcher  Power Tanks are similar (also many cheaper laptop batteries have modest Watt-Hour capacity). An  Atik Horizon camera requires 12v/2A so that also gobbles watt hours.

I ended up requiring two compact batteries/power banks.

1. MaxOak K2 50000mAh to power the Intel NUC at 20v/3A. Offers 185Wh.

2. Tracer 12v/8Ah to power camera + MKIT20 Autofocusser.  But ideally, I need a 12Ah or higher rated capacity for longer sessions.

This is in addition to my Evolution's internal battery. So do consider battery power as well as computing power.

Archived