SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TAL 100R price?

14 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

It does say its on a German equatorial mount, and that tripod does look much like a berleach

So seems a bargain to me

Definitely a bargain. That tripod does look like a Berleach cracking tripod. 

Edited by wookie1965
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit, as a full package, tripod and and all I'd have been tempted.. I just spent £100 or so making my own wooden tripod so you can start to break down costing and easily get up to £200 with rational behind it.. 

I always think the value is what your willing to pay, and these don't come up that often any more so are probably already gaining a "collectors" tag, especially an "R" over the "RS"..

I paid £50 plus £10 postage for a goodness knows how old green vixen half piller because I wanted it so that's what it was worth to me, despite numerous new fixing holes being added to it.. let's face it value wise was probably scrap but hey ho...

Good luck in the bidding

Ta

Fozzie 

• Like 2

Agree with Jules and it does look like the original TAL tripod and mount.

Looking at the photos the whole package looks in great condition and if I was living closer I would be very tempted to go and have a look.

One of these went for £103 a few weeks ago on fleabay, including mount and tripod!

Ta Jock

• Like 1

No doubt about the tripod and GEM - they're TAL. I bought my 100R a few years ago on eBay and paid £125 if my memory serves. Mine came in an enormous wooden box with the OTA, mount and eyepieces. It's made for an excellent work surface in my garage for the last few years as it's a pretty solid item! Actually I've been away from stargazing for a few years so this thread has got me thinking it's more than time to get back outside. 

Do we still get clear nights???

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Shame, that does look like a chip. Won't affect performance at all but it will affect resale value so don't pay too much for it! 

Use that chip as a bargaining chip!?.

Seriously though, it's tiny and you wouldn't see it in use. Paint it over with flat black paint, job done.

But you will know it's there though..

I wouldn't pay more than £80 for that if it is tube only.

Dave

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, twotter said:

No doubt about the tripod and GEM - they're TAL. I bought my 100R a few years ago on eBay and paid £125 if my memory serves. Mine came in an enormous wooden box with the OTA, mount and eyepieces. It's made for an excellent work surface in my garage for the last few years as it's a pretty solid item! Actually I've been away from stargazing for a few years so this thread has got me thinking it's more than time to get back outside. 

Do we still get clear nights???

Welcome back Twotter☺..(or "Twitter" as my Android wants to call it!).

Yes, we do get some and in fact this winter (I'm in Lincolnshire) we have had a fair number.

So go on, get that Tal out, you know you want to!?

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

That's the one I was looking at (but I won't be bidding as I have an ED103s Vixen already☺.

It looks great, but ask to see photos of the lens and accessories.

The Tal 100r is very Russian.

Good points:

Great lens, lovely purple coatings, slightly better figured than the later RS models IMO.

Decent, if a bit agricultural equipment mount, built like a tank.

The tripod is definitely Tal, and it's a good one, ideal for this scope.

Accessories are good, the 6x30 finder is a cracker, with helical focusing. The 25m Plossl is superb, optically gives Tele Vue a run for it's money. The 10mm is decent too. The diagonal is excellent.

Not so good points:

The baffling on the 100r tubes can be poor. Look up the tube and if you can see daylight around the edges of the baffles, they may have moved or not been fixed properly. It is fixable but annoying.

The focuser on the 100r is poor and has a tiny amount of travel,  maybe c40mm, enough for the Tal eyepieces but other brands may not come to focus. The Crayford focuser on the 100rs is excellent and MUCH better. I think you would want to swap the focuser and Tal stuff has its own build foibles so may need for example to have a custom adapter machined to fit the tube. I don't think the RS focuser fits the 100r tube (even if you  could find one).

Someone like Mark at Moonraker Telescopes could probably help. That would add to the cost. Mind you, the lens is worth it.. a Moonlite dual speed equipped 100r would be a serious refractor ?.

Good luck if you bid, let us know if you win it!

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F15Rules said:

The focuser on the 100r is poor and has a tiny amount of travel,  maybe c40mm, enough for the Tal eyepieces but other brands may not come to focus.

Even though it's been a while I do recall my Baader Hyperions all came to focus (the 1.25" ones) - 24mm to 5mm.

19 hours ago, F15Rules said:

That's the one I was looking at (but I won't be bidding as I have an ED103s Vixen already☺.

It looks great, but ask to see photos of the lens and accessories.

The Tal 100r is very Russian.

Good points:

Great lens, lovely purple coatings, slightly better figured than the later RS models IMO.

Decent, if a bit agricultural equipment mount, built like a tank.

The tripod is definitely Tal, and it's a good one, ideal for this scope.

Accessories are good, the 6x30 finder is a cracker, with helical focusing. The 25m Plossl is superb, optically gives Tele Vue a run for it's money. The 10mm is decent too. The diagonal is excellent.

Not so good points:

The baffling on the 100r tubes can be poor. Look up the tube and if you can see daylight around the edges of the baffles, they may have moved or not been fixed properly. It is fixable but annoying.

The focuser on the 100r is poor and has a tiny amount of travel,  maybe c40mm, enough for the Tal eyepieces but other brands may not come to focus. The Crayford focuser on the 100rs is excellent and MUCH better. I think you would want to swap the focuser and Tal stuff has its own build foibles so may need for example to have a custom adapter machined to fit the tube. I don't think the RS focuser fits the 100r tube (even if you  could find one).

Someone like Mark at Moonraker Telescopes could probably help. That would add to the cost. Mind you, the lens is worth it.. a Moonlite dual speed equipped 100r would be a serious refractor ?.

Good luck if you bid, let us know if you win it!

Dave

Hi Dave

Great bits of info on the TAL 100r. I have a 100rs and was wondering if you could swap the focusers over without major surgery.

TAL 100r with 100rs focuser hmm! that would be nice to try ?

On 28/02/2018 at 06:24, Dave_D said:

this kinda puts me off tho... definitely looks like the lens is chipped.

lens_zps2dccfwt5.png

If you bought it you might never feel quite comfortable with it, knowing the lens is chipped. 

At £200 to start, you're over half way to a beautiful Star Wave 102mm F11. I know which I'd choose, but you know your budget. Even a SW 100ED could be found second hand for around £400.

5a98018bf308c_2018-03-0113_39_49.thumb.png.cb6658cad91c3c6558b048dd33b5b830.png

Edited by mikeDnight

59 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Hi Dave

Great bits of info on the TAL 100r. I have a 100rs and was wondering if you could swap the focusers over without major surgery.

TAL 100r with 100rs focuser hmm! that would be nice to try ?

Hi Jock,

I don't know for sure, but as per my post, I fear that they are not interchangeable.

Our TAL expert on SGL, AndyH, may be able to help out. Might be worth messaging him, you should find him on SGL members search, AndyH☺.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dave

On 28/02/2018 at 11:16, wookie1965 said:

2 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Jock,

I don't know for sure, but as per my post, I fear that they are not interchangeable.

Our TAL expert on SGL, AndyH, may be able to help out. Might be worth messaging him, you should find him on SGL members search, AndyH☺.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dave

Hi Dave 

Thanks for heads up.

My 100rs was roughed up by clumsy couriers and has never produced the views I hoped hence the thought of using the good bits of my TAL with a 100r, that's if I could find one close to home and cheap enough to make it worth my while.

All the best Jock  

• Like 1