Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

163c or 183c?

geordie85

Which of these qhy cameras would be best coupled with a samyang 135mm lens and possibly a WO star71, which would give the best resolution/ detailed images? 

I'm only looking at the OSC cameras and I'm fully aware of the whole OSC vs mono debate so please don't let this become another one. 

Thanks

For those glasses, I think both cameras are a good choice. It really comes down to your imaging interests.

With 163 you will get larger FOV with slightly lower resolution (5.68"/pixel on samyang and 2.24"/pixel on WO71), while 183 will give a bit higher resolution (3.67"/pixel and 1.41"/pixel) at a smaller FOV.

Bonus for smaller sensor size is that you can get away without corrective optics in some cases (this means samyang at F/2 will probably be sharp to the edge with 183).

Although I have 163 equivalent in mono (ASI1600), and I'm exceptionally happy with it, if I were in your position, I would probably choose 183, but that is simply me, I like to have option at both low and high resolution imaging so 3.67"/pixel and 1.41"/pixel would suit me better than 5.68 and 2.24 combination.

On the other hand if you plan to add scope with more focal length to your imaging stable (something like 130pds for resolution of 1.21"/pixel), then go for 163.

HTH

On 25/02/2018 at 18:43, Adam J said:

With that lens it would be the 183 for sure. 

That's what I'm going to go for, the 183c unless they release a mono version before I have the funds then I'll definitely get that. Just hope FLO start stocking them.

16 hours ago, geordie85 said:

That's what I'm going to go for, the 183c unless they release a mono version before I have the funds then I'll definitely get that. Just hope FLO start stocking them.

You do know that QHY are doing a deal on the 183m such that if you purchase one you get either a 183c or a filter wheel for half price?

Also the ASI183mm-c is the same sensor as the QHY183m and available from FLO. I would go to modern astronomy for the QHY183m and ask about the deal, he might be able to get one in for you.  

I would 100% go mono. 

Archived