Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help identifying what this is - 23rd feb 2019 2.55am

hi

Just had a brief look through captures from last night all sky camera, exposures circa 20 secs, ive seen lots of planes/satellites etc flying over in captures, any idea what this is / could be? Not like anything ive seen before.

Not had capture anything like this so far hence ask, from timespan its traveling right to left, the exposure ending 963 is first, 889 is second

time as per timestamps 23rd feb 2018 2.55.25 am and 2.55.04 am

Captured north east surrey region.

thanks Jamie

Oculus-2018-02-23T02-55-25-889.png

Oculus-2018-02-23T02-55-04-963.png

It certainly is bright. I have checked and it wasn't the ISS, too bright for that anyway. It looks too consistent to be a meteor fireball (and I haven't seen reports of anything that bright either). I'm guessing a helicopter with bright searchlight perhaps? Nice capture :) 

I was also just about to type helicopter as it does look relatively low as if searching for something ..... mind you they are quite loud, was you asleep at the time Jamie ? I hope they were not after you ?

@Stu thanks yes also saw no reports, ISS never come out that bright , its definitely consistent . Did consider a helicopter, though what made me think may not be a helicopter was lack of strobing lights - when they have come overhead before the flash is really bright, e.g. see capture from earlier in evening as example below. Didnt see any obvious return path or repeat in later frames.

I zoomed right in on the pic above and cant see any strobes hence why not sure (doesn't necessarily discount though), still got the FIT file although not sure if can get any more from that

@Pig i didnt hear anything, normally when come over have woken up as they dont half make a noise and shake the house. Lets hope im not on a wanted list :)

Oculus-2018-02-23T01-31-44-217.png

Jamie it sure is a great capture.... maybe you could check with the police and air ambulance teams to see if there were any incidents locally, at least you cross them off the list if not.

Archived