Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Hello..

First of all would like to say thank you to everyone who has helped me narrow down and help me decide what scope I should get has been a long month trying to decide :) 

The scope I’ve decided to go for is the AZ Pronto and 130p as it’s the best one I can afford which suite my needs..( could’ve gone bigger but had to lower my budget :( ) 

im going to mainly be using this scope for hunting faint fuzzies ( Clusters and Galaxies). My skies are reasonably good, I don’t suffer badly from light pollution. As I have not used a proper telescope before as I have mentioned I wanted to know what is possible with this scope as I don’t want to set my expectations too high ( not expecting Hubble images). Would I be able to make out some of the ngc galaxies near Triangulum for example? Even if they appear to small and faint? Even if they don’t have any detail I just find it fascinating that we can see objects that are so far away.Would also hope you could give me some targets for me that I should look for when I get it which will hopefully be very soon :)  I have turn left at Orion which I’ll have another read through but wanted some of you to tell me your experiences if you’ve had the 130p

again thanks for all the help in the previous posts and of course in this.

Edited by Dinoco

Depending on just how dark your skies are you should be able to see plenty.  I don't have a 130p, but from what I read it is a 5" aperture. That will be plenty to make out many of the deep sky objects you'd like to see.  As you mentioned already, some may not show much detail and may just be faint fuzzies, but you'll be able to find them and know what you are looking at.

Keep in mind that the magnification depends entirely on what eyepiece(s) you are using, and these can be upgraded at any time.  You certainly don't need high magnification to find many objects, and high magnification can often be detrimental as it restricts the amount of light that makes it to your eye.

Might I suggest you have a look at Bode's Galaxies (M81 and M82).  These can easily be seen through binoculars when sky conditions are right, and I bet you can get quite a stunning view with your new scope.  That should give you a decent idea of just how things will look.  Also, if you are out in the morning take a look at M13, that should bring a smile to your face!

11 minutes ago, Hayduke27 said:

Keep in mind that the magnification depends entirely on what eyepiece(s) you are using, and these can be upgraded at any time.  You certainly don't need high magnification to find many objects, and high magnification can often be detrimental as it restricts the amount of light that makes it to your eye.

Might I suggest you have a look at Bode's Galaxies (M81 and M82).  These can easily be seen through binoculars when sky conditions are right, and I bet you can get quite a stunning view with your new scope.  That should give you a decent idea of just how things will look.  Also, if you are out in the morning take a look at M13, that should bring a smile to your face!

Thanks, won’t be upgrading the eyepieces for a while until I get used to the scope. I’ve been using this http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astronomy-field-view-calculator and using the search option with the eyepiece still not sure how accurate this is, probably not that accurate. I’ll keep a note on those targets.

There is a thread with the same title as yours Dinoco in this set of listings.  Here is the link

Even if you don't plough through the entire set of postings its worth a glance down the first page, even if you only clock the pictures.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JOC said:

There is a thread with the same title as yours Dinoco in this set of listings.  Here is the link

Even if you don't plough through the entire set of postings its worth a glance down the first page, even if you only clock the pictures.

Thanks for that. In the back of my mind it I knew it  would look similar to that is a very useful thread. I keep trying to tell my self that everything will not look like the images :) I dont really care that they don’t as long as I can make out what it is And then especially looking afterwards what you’ve seen and realise how far away it   is think it’s even more exciting then not having those clear images ( may sound strange) also why I learnt about the science side of it first to get a better appreciation for it all.

maybe I should change the title..

Edited by Dinoco
  • Like 1

FWIW my telescope is the bit bigger brother to yours - my view of Jupiter and Saturn are both similar to the telescope pictures in that thread as are my views of things M42 - I think you will be in the ball park of views that are similar - the magnification that you use will make a huge difference.  The moon will blow you away!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dinoco said:

Would I be able to make out some of the ngc galaxies near Triangulum

I would say these are unlikely as they are around Mag 13 or 14 and need dark skies and a biggish dob to see. I think I saw down to about mag 14.5 with my 16" at a dark site.

You might get NGC604 which is a bright Nebula within M33. I would start with some of the others such as M81/82, still around 12 million ly away! The Leo Triplet should also be quite doable under dark skies, up to 42 million ly distant, pretty amazing still.

Jupiter, when well positioned can be amazing. This was taken with a 4" Tak, using an iPhone handheld at the eyepiece. The actual views were much sharper. Bear in mind that the Tak is a cracking scope, sharper and better contrast, but you should still see good detail, multiple belts, shadow transits and GRS with a 130 Newt.

IMG_2951.JPG

Hi Dinoco. :hello:

I have the 130P. Great little scope. I liked it so much I've just bought the 130P-DS also.
To give you a realistic idea what you can expect to see, below are some photos I've taken using the 130P.
They are unprocessed - haven't quite figured that out yet - and also unguided. (again, still figuring PHD2 out also) 

Andromeda.
5a904a2d0c41e_IMG_0024(2).thumb.JPG.6dbc5c7d8b9a80c7ec9dbdc327747dcd.JPG

Pleiades
5a904a2f93a6b_IMG_0039(2).thumb.JPG.93cc14d75218f26addda73c85091de09.JPG

Orion Nebula.
5a904a32478dc_IMG_0070(2).thumb.JPG.e83ebc1635ab68c7703753d439460c0d.JPG

I assume you know what this is.. :)
5a904a350919c_IMG_5574(2).thumb.JPG.d00c74ab05c5283b3494d60be13ce1d6.JPG

Like I said above, great little scope. 

Hope this helps. 
Pete.

Edited by Redscouse
  • Like 2

Nice pics Pete. To be clear though, M42 won't show colour as shown in your image. At best you might see a faint greenish tint to the Nebula. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

I would say these are unlikely as they are around Mag 13 or 14 and need dark skies and a biggish dob to see. I think I saw down to about mag 14.5 with my 16" at a dark site.

You might get NGC604 which is a bright Nebula within M33. I would start with some of the others such as M81/82, still around 12 million ly away! The Leo Triplet should also be quite doable under dark skies, up to 42 million ly distant, pretty amazing still.

The Leo triplet is on the top of my list for galaxies one of my favourite hoping i  can get a good view of them. andromeda is close second can sort of make it out with binos but would like to see it through the scope. Thanks for the recommendations :) 

Edited by Dinoco

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

To be clear though, M42 won't show colour as shown in your image.

Oh yes. Never thought of that. Perhaps I should have said "this is what your camera will see". 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Jupiter, when well positioned can be amazing. This was taken with a 4" Tak, using an iPhone handheld at the eyepiece. The actual views were much sharper. Bear in mind that the Tak is a cracking scope, sharper and better contrast, but you should still see good detail, multiple belts, shadow transits and GRS with a 130 Newt.

IMG_2951.JPG

Great image considering it’s with a iPhone. Unfortunately the planets are quite low at the moment I think will be hard to and have trees opposite my garden so will have to wait till they get higher looking forward to it though and also I think mars is supposed to be the closest it’s been to us in a long time I think this year so will want to have a look for that ( even though it might be an orange pea)

Edited by Dinoco

29 minutes ago, Redscouse said:

Hi Dinoco. :hello:

I have the 130P. Great little scope. I liked it so much I've just bought the 130P-DS also.
To give you a realistic idea what you can expect to see, below are some photos I've taken using the 130P.
They are unprocessed - haven't quite figured that out yet - and also unguided. (again, still figuring PHD2 out also) 

Andromeda.
5a904a2d0c41e_IMG_0024(2).thumb.JPG.6dbc5c7d8b9a80c7ec9dbdc327747dcd.JPG

Pleiades
5a904a2f93a6b_IMG_0039(2).thumb.JPG.93cc14d75218f26addda73c85091de09.JPG

Orion Nebula.
5a904a32478dc_IMG_0070(2).thumb.JPG.e83ebc1635ab68c7703753d439460c0d.JPG

I assume you know what this is.. :)
5a904a350919c_IMG_5574(2).thumb.JPG.d00c74ab05c5283b3494d60be13ce1d6.JPG

Like I said above, great little scope. 

Hope this helps. 
Pete.

Nice pictures. :) 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dinoco said:

Great image considering it’s with a iPhone. Unfortunately the planets are quite low at the moment I think will be hard to and have trees opposite my garden so will have to wait till they get higher looking forward to it though and also I think mars is supposed to be the closest it’s been to us in a long time I think this year so will want to have a look for that ( even though it might be an orange pee) 

Yes, planets are low for a good few years yet so best to try to get somewhere with a low horizon, not looking over houses. Even though Mars is close later in the year, it is will still only be around 13 degrees above the horizon so views won't be brilliant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, planets are low for a good few years yet so best to try to get somewhere with a low horizon, not looking over houses. Even though Mars is close later in the year, it is will still only be around 13 degrees above the horizon so views won't be brilliant.

Are you able to make out M103? Also one of my favourites just because of the name :) 

8 minutes ago, Dinoco said:

Are you able to make out M103? Also one of my favourites just because of the name :) 

Yep M103 is a nice Open Cluster. As NGC457 to your list, the Owl or ET Cluster, great fun. Not far from 103 and a bit brighter

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep M103 is a nice Open Cluster. As NGC457 to your list, the Owl or ET Cluster, great fun. Not far from 103 and a bit brighter

Thanks. Ordering it tonight from FLO so should have it next week can’t wait :). weather doesn’t look good though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dinoco said:

Thanks. Ordering it tonight from FLO so should have it next week can’t wait :). weather doesn’t look good though.

In my (short) experience, whenever you buy something astro related, expect clouds, lots of them. :clouds1::clouds1::clouds2:

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Redscouse said:

In my (short) experience, whenever you buy something astro related, expect clouds, lots of them. :clouds1::clouds1::clouds2:

Yep. Been having a few clear nights recently I’m sure that will all change when i get it.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Yes, planets are low for a good few years yet

Can you define 'good'? 5, 10?
Where can I find this stuff out please if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction. 

55 minutes ago, Redscouse said:

Can you define 'good'? 5, 10?
Where can I find this stuff out please if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction. 

Good point :) 

This post has info about Saturn and Mars, will dig something up about Jupiter.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/269919-planets-disappearing/?do=findComment&comment=2954210

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just put this together from SkySafari, should be right. So, a good few years is probably 5 or so, 6 until back to best.

Jupiter Oppositions

2018 May 9th 22.6 degrees

2019 June 10th 16.2 degrees

2020 July 14th 16.8 degrees

2021 Aug 20th 25.1 degrees

2022 Sept 26th 38.7 degrees

2023 Nov 3rd 52.2 degrees

2024 Dec 7th 60.7 degrees

2025 Jan 10th 60.8 degrees

2026 Feb 11th 53.8 degrees

2027 Mar 12th 42.9 degrees

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stu, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. 
Might have to follow Peter's example in the thread and visit Tenerife for a week or three! :)

• Like 1