SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Apo Refractors

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

Meade = Lincoln/Caddy, WO = Rolls Royce.  My GT81 amazes me every time I look through it. What issues have you heard about with the '71?

So what would that make Taks, APs, and APM-LZOSs?  Bugattis?

Only a casual observer (for now). But the variation of ED performance worries (even) me...
Having avoided the idea of "APO" refractors so long, I really love my little Altair Astro ED66.
I particularly enjoy technical articles by folk who *measure* performance of such things. ;)

I find myself almost seduced by Altair Astro... APM... Long Perng (But who makes what?)
And when is a APO only really semi-APO etc. I have had nightmares about the *illustrated*
dissection (recollimation) of a triplet objective! :eek: That alone put me off *triplet* APOs! lol

I'm just MESSING! True Quality will remain above my budget and (so I claim) interest... :p 

The car analogy is quite interesting because, these days and in normal use, a blindfolded person would be hard put to tell if they were riding in a Range Rover or a Nissan Quashquai at half the price. Almost all modern cars are quiet, comfortable and reliable. It's the 'reliable' bit that seems to be the issue in parts of the Apo market. If there is a Rolls Royce of Apos it is probably made by Astro Physics. (Actually the modern Rollers are so vile that this is rather hard on AP!!!)

Olly

I am still not sure if most APO refactors available today are just visual only instruments, the often add on option of a flatterer is never a good fix for AP with all the issues of spacing (which can take forever to fix if at all) and the problems of removing any tilt it introduces. 

Alan 

Archived