Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar X & V first light for ZWO ASI 120 MC

Knighty2112

Well, for the first time I managed to get an image with my ZWO ASI 120 MC camera, other than chimney tops and power pylons! As it was clear tonight, with the moon nicely on show, I thought I’d dare to nab the lunar X & V formations on show tonight earlier on. Pretty chuffed with the image, although I know I still have tons to learn yet with the camera, and more especially processing.

Image processed partly on laptop, and finished off on iPad Pro. Was worried the focus would be an issue, but seems Ok in the final image stacked in Registack. Scope used Celestron Omni 120mm f8.3 ‘frac on Skytee 2 mount.

AC568AB1-A932-416A-A0F3-A091BAA85B32.thumb.jpeg.f7f01199974bc57c064f209d00691d46.jpeg

Just now, Paul73 said:

Nice result. Thought that it would be bigger ?.

What scope did you use?

Trying to get the kids to settle so that I can have a go.....

Paul

Thanks! I used a Celestron Omni 120mm f8.3 ‘frac. The features stand out quite easily on the lunar surface, even in quite low powers dut to their brightness, which is subdued in the image otherwise the rest of the moon would be blown out too much.

That's so weird. I've just come in from looking at it (the x has gone now) and here is a picture of it back to front from what I saw. Don't think I've ever seen a picture of the same moon that I've just seen. A nice picture too.

2 minutes ago, domstar said:

That's so weird. I've just come in from looking at it (the x has gone now) and here is a picture of it back to front from what I saw. Don't think I've ever seen a picture of the same moon that I've just seen. A nice picture too.

Yep, I flipped the image to give it a normal view, rather than what we see through our scope. :) 

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Interesting.  Is this a video image or multiple single frames?
Sorry for all the questions, but its piqued my interest.

It was an avi video file that I processed after shooting with Sharpcap, then run through Debayer, then processed through Registack to give the final image.

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

It was an avi video file that I processed after shooting with Sharpcap, then run through Debayer, then processed through Registack to give the final image.

Wow! That sounds like I’m a pro, which I am far from! Just dipped my toes in a very deep ocean really! Hehe! ;) 

Lovely image, Gus.

Even managed to persuade Mrs Floater out to see the Moon tonight! And she was impressed (well, that’s too strong a word but she was interested ... I think ?).

A bit hazy here tonight but that toned down any glare and the X and V were very obvious. Beautiful.

2 minutes ago, Floater said:

Lovely image, Gus.

Even managed to persuade Mrs Floater out to see the Moon tonight! And she was impressed (well, that’s too strong a word but she was interested ... I think ?).

A bit hazy here tonight but that toned down any glare and the X and V were very obvious. Beautiful.

Thanks. Glad you managed to get the wife out to view the moon too. The X & V are always great to see when you catch them. :) 

22 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Nicely done Gus. You've caught some excellent detail.

Thanks John. Yes, I was surprised at some of the details I captured too. Got other data from this event too, so be processing more probably at the weekend and see if I get similar or better results. The learning curve for processing images starts here! ;) 

Caught it visually too! A first for me.

This imaging lark isn’t as straight forward as it looks. I couldn’t get close to Gus’ detail with similar gear. First go, so was quite pleased to get anything!

Paul

PS. @Knighty2112 - Any chance of a screenshot of the SharCap settings that you used? Don’t worry if any trouble. 

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

This imaging lark isn’t as straight forward as it looks. I couldn’t get close to Gus’ detail with similar gear. First go, so was quite pleased to get anything!

Paul

PS. @Knighty2112 - Any chance of a screenshot of the SharCap settings that you used? Don’t worry if any trouble. 

I’ll check it out and post up the strings I used. I did drop the image a little as the righ hand side of the moon was to exposed and detracted from the main view. Need to learn how to balance exposure out better, but just happy I got something really.

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

Paul

Here’s the settings file from the settings used for the above image; 

ZWO ASI120MC

Debayer Preview=On

Pan=0

Tilt=0

Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)

Binning=1

Capture Area=1280x960

Colour Space=RAW8

Temperature=15.5

Discard Split Frames=Off

High Speed Mode=Off