SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar X tonight

Trikeflyer

What is a luna X? Is it an x shape on the moon? Does it move or is it always in the same spot? If you can see it tonight in Birmingham, will I be able to see it halfway across Europe? I quite fancy giving it a try if possible.

It is a lighting effect that shows at a particular point on the terminator. It depends on the sun's position relative to the moon and basically shows as a X shape where two crater rims intersect.

Provided that moon is up where you are, you should be able to see it. It appears for around 4 hours, timing I have is 18.07 which I believe is the peak, not the start.

There is also a Lunar V which appears at the same time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_X

IMG_7119.JPG

7 minutes ago, domstar said:

Thanks a lot Stu (although I'm shamed by the wiki entry). I'm sure I came up with nothing last time I checked it on google. Aha I spelt it luna. Sometimes I despair of myself. I'm quite excited by the prospect.

Tee hee, no problem :) 

In the heads up forum I've put the details @67champ posted up for the year. They are not always visible as the moon isn't always well placed (might be daytime when it happens etc)

As I said, I think 18.07 is the peak time so it is worth checking on it as soon as you can. It lasts about 4 hours in total I think.

13 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Sadly not for me tonight as I am mount less, I was so looking forward to a lunar X view again.
My mount has gone for a warranty repair :sad2:

Fancy hand holding Alan? ;)

Did it with a Tak 60 once to see something low down, but it was tiny! :) 

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fancy hand holding Alan? ;)

Did it with a Tak 60 once to see something low down, but it was tiny! :) 

Oddly you should say that, it had crossed my mind!
I will try mu binocular but at 10x 50 probably not going to be seen.

I've just picked up the X and the V- the V starts being visible earlier. Thanks to Trikeflyer and Stu. The new celestial heads-up section is working a treat and the picture helped a great deal. And they're not even the most beautiful things on show on the moon tonight. A lovely phase and I haven't observed it before. Thanks again.

39 minutes ago, Trikeflyer said:

I'm all set up and ready lined up, apparently 1830hrs is the start.  Currently no cloud! Oh no that's jinxed it then. Trying out the new frac equinox 120 ed and comparing with the etx 125 mak. Let's see how it goes. 

Steve 

Visible now Steve, hope you are getting good views. Equinox 120 is ideal!

Using Andromeda tonight with 19 Pans (100X) and 13 Nags (146X)in the bino and it is glorious and quite steady at the higher power, though I am preferring 100X. I never tire of just sitting comfortably and studying the lunar surface for 90 minutes or more as I have just done, while the mount tracks quietly and smoothly,and shall continue for at least another hour before I have a look around  at other gems of the night sky.

Very nice image Gus.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Visible now Steve, hope you are getting good views. Equinox 120 is ideal!

Thanks Stu, awesome views. It was first light for me with the 120 equinox. I'm bowled over, stunning to say the least. Also compared to the etx 125, it was close but the refractor was a tad sharper, the etx was good with binoviewers though. Hope you had a great session too. 

Got a good view of the X using a very wobbly Travelscope 70 on a park bench waiting for my daughter to finish her brass lesson, then once home I managed a much better (and steadier) view using my 130mm reflector.

Only my second ever time looking through a scope, so I was well chuffed to see the X so clearly - it looked great at 180x.

14 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

Thanks Stu, awesome views. It was first light for me with the 120 equinox. I'm bowled over, stunning to say the least. Also compared to the etx 125, it was close but the refractor was a tad sharper, the etx was good with binoviewers though. Hope you had a great session too. 

Sounds great Steve. Thanks, yes we had a great session. Skies were kind!

Archived