Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

2Dragons8Buddhas

Balancing mount

I assume you are using an equatorial mount?

What I do:

Once everything is loaded, rotate scope until balance bar is more or less horizontal and move the weights around until it will stay in that position when I let go (do this carefully, as the 'starting' position of the weights may be way out). Rotate the telescope until it is parallel to the ground and carefully let it go. If it starts to rotate, so that it is no longer parallel to the ground, slacken the bolts holding the dovetail and slide it backwards or forwards as appropriate (you can do this by slackening the tube rings if you have those - my scopes don't). Repeat until the scope remains parallel to the ground. Then, with everything tightened, return scope to the 'home' position.

HTH

Agree with above. Make a note of the weight and dovetail positions for future reference so you don't have to keep doing it.

Peter

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Make a note of the weight and dovetail positions for future reference so you don't have to keep doing it.

I would agree with this IF you always use the exact same setup. Any changes to the setup and you will need to rebalance.

• Like 1