SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Strange definition ...

Demonperformer

All the forecasts yesterday were saying that the skies would clear here in the early hours. Great! I thought. Wanted to try to get a slightly different image this morning, optimal time: about 3.25.

Woke up at 2 and got up: Wall-to-wall (well, horizon-to-horizon) cloud. Two and a half hours later: still h-2-h cloud!

Obviously some strange definition of the word "clear" of which I was previously unaware :clouds1::hmh::clouds1:

Woke up early and couldn’t get back off, so got up to see how th skies were. Clear, but ideally wanting to see Mars and Jupiter, of which the later is viewable (no GRS at the moment though). Just waiting for Mars to come up over the houses and clear the crud in the lower atmosphere, in which case I may drag the scope out rather than just using my binos. Did manage to get M13 in view with the binos though, which is always nice to see again. Was forcast 50/50 here, so forcast pretty much correct here for now, although we all know we can’t really rely on any forecasts predicted. Hope it clears for you before sun up. 

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Clear, but ideally wanting to see Mars and Jupiter, of which the later is viewable (no GRS at the moment though).

??? ... Jupiter rotates every 9.8 hours , so the GRS is visible about twice every day regardless , just a matter of timing whether it's visible when you observe.

Plenty of sites out there that show exactly when the storm is in view.

9 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

??? ... Jupiter rotates every 9.8 hours , so the GRS is visible about twice every day regardless , just a matter of timing whether it's visible when you observe.

Plenty of sites out there that show exactly when the storm is in view.

Yes, I know. I meant that it was not on show at that moment when I was observing as it was still on the dark side of Jupiter so to speak. It is only just now that it is coming in to view on the planet, which with daylight fast approaching and the seeing conditions would make it extremely hard to make out at all in the morning twilight.

Archived