Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus & Neptune in Conjunction

orion25

Tonight (February 21, 2018) is the closest approach of Venus & Neptune (about 35' apart, within the field of a low power eyepiece), but it is challenging because the pair is very low on the Western Horizon. Too low and sky too bright for me to capture this time, but here is an image I took of the pair during last year's conjunction:

5a8e049aeade2_ASTRONOMY-VENUSNEPTUNE(ZOOMCAPTION)1-12-17.thumb.jpg.67f1c4c0ee35418d2463f96e92377da4.jpg

Reggie

38 minutes ago, Piero said:

Nice one! The difference in brightness is impressive! Is that brown object under Venus a star? 

Thanks, Piero. Yes, that brown object is one of the background stars in Aquarius. I'm glad the bluish tint of Neptune came out in the image.

On 2/25/2018 at 01:39, Pete Presland said:

I have viewed Venus a few times already from the bedroom window, it is still very low at the moment but nice see her return to the evening skies. I will be dusting off the U Venus filter soon!

I'm looking forward to your images, Pete!

Archived