Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece for frac

I just got a skywatcher 120 equinox refractor (thanks Mick). My first frac! I have a long focal length etx 125 and a 2 dobs and a range of longer focal length eyepieces to suit these scopes. 

I think I need a shortish focal length eyepiece to suit the refractor.  I have a bst Starguider 8mm but am potentially looking for an upgrade to this.  I have a 2x Barlow and a 2.5x power mate, so probably looking at a 9 or 10mm eyepiece to give some flexibility on mag.  I want to look at double stars, the moon and planets with the frac.

I know eyepieces are a personal thing but I'm curious about what others use and what is recommended.  I don't think I can stretch to Pentax, televue or the like so I'm looking at more 'mid range' but a step up from the 8mm bst. I need long 20mm eye relief as I wear specs when observing. 

Any thoughts? Vixen SLV? Altair astro LER planetary? Other options? I guess I want something that punches above its price weight, a bit like the bst does but in the next bracket up.

Or honestly is the BST better than or equal to anything in that next price bracket? 

Steve

Different scope, but I found nothing special when I used 'better' eyepieces on my scope.

Like I said. different scope,  f/6 but selling the better eyepieces says something about the Starguiders?

Your 8mm should be ok on your f/7.5, but your nearing the limits for the scopes maximum practical power

Archived