Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tube for a 6 inch F11 Newtonian 70 inches long.

As 6 inch F11 optics can still be bought, I looked around for a 70 inch tube to make an OTA feasibilty study.

All the mechanical bits are on sale, but no tube long enough - I want solid OTA end to end.

If no astro stuff supplier sells, what tube could I buy that would be rigid enough? I presume 165mm diameter.

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

I agree that looking for a used OOUK ota would be cheaper. Where are you getting the optics?

They are not common beasts though. That said I have owned two different ones.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2855_Orion-Optics-UK-primary---150-1600mm---f-11---1-8-Lambda.html these are probably unused OO stock. I expect 1/10 was originally made too.

Must have tiny secondary mirrors. Do you remember the axis measurements from your scopes?

7 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Called Orion. They can still make VX6XL F11 150s, only 1/10 wave optics. Cost on an OO dob mount incl VAT is £982. 10 week wait approx, as special order status. ⚠

Hmm, considering I've bought and sold them used for about £160 (without dob base) I think, that's pricey! Don't come up often though.

I have heard these are" planet " and" APO" killers ?. I have not tried one of these myself so not sure it would have the frac type image.

But if this is correct, a good 6" Apo would be many thousands of pounds. At around £700 new the OO then still is not a bad price.

But second hand they do come up for a few hundreds of pounds. Cheaper than getting all the parts and making your own ,and all the work done for you ?.

22 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

I have heard these are" planet " and" APO" killers ?. I have not tried one of these myself so not sure it would have the frac type image.

But if this is correct, a good 6" Apo would be many thousands of pounds. At around £700 new the OO then still is not a bad price.

But second hand they do come up for a few hundreds of pounds. Cheaper than getting all the parts and making your own ,and all the work done for you ?.

I asked the guy how an image compares to that of a Tak, he said its better ?. 

Tak are "middle", for quality, he said. APM top, then TEC, for refractors. ? The F11 image would compare with a TEC. Sales pitch more than accurate assessment I hope. ?

46 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I asked the guy how an image compares to that of a Tak, he said its better ?. 

Tak are "middle", for quality, he said. APM top, then TEC, for refractors. ? The F11 image would compare with a TEC. Sales pitch more than accurate assessment I hope. ?

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep.

OOwww ? better than I thought then.

I always suspected those Tak ? stories were just wishful thinking ???

Just look at savings that could of been saved from the Tak Club?

It would in all serious though be very interesting to put this to the test personally, the OOuk against the Tak. There is a SGL star party this year locally. Anyone going with these scopes , so I can have a peak. As if the OOuk can best the Tak then I certainly will be in the que. And the Tak sales would take a dive I should think ,and the OOuk sales should go through the roof. At £700 OOuk cheap as chips if this claim can be backed up through my personal eyes? 

Taks are kept for the next generation. Those OOs will be lucky to last so long. But it is tempting to test a F11 against a Mak 150 and C6, say,  if not a good frac. Bang for buck new VX6XL wins, however against pre-owned cats prices, not probably.

Archived