SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why do I keep losing my memory?

old_eyes

I have started using a Minix nanocomputer (this one) to run my rig and capture data. Using Teamviewer from my iPad over wi-fi, I can then run all the functions and keep an eye on progress.

As I reported in an earlier post the system has only 32GB of memory on board so I added a 32GB micro-SD card specifically for data storage. In my first full trial, the computer lost contact with the micro-SD card and the data disappeared into an informational black hole.

This time I kept a close eye on things and periodically checked that the acquired images were indeed being stored on the micro-SD card. 

All went well for an hour or so and then the same gremlin struck - the Minix could not see the micro-SD card any more. This time I only lost a coup[le of frames before my routine checks picked it up. 

Unable to figure out what was going on I switched to storing data on the internal SSD. This worked fine for the rest of the session.

So has anyone seen this or have any clues?

• Defective micro-SD card? - it always works fine when I plug into my desktop
  • Connector problem? - either on Minix side or micro-SD side
  • micro-SD doesn't like low temperatures?
  • Some problem with Windows 10 on the Minix?

Would I have more luck with a USB stick in my one remaining USB 2 socket? 

Any suggestions gratefully received, otherwise this is going to become a real irritation.

It could also be a power supply problem but you could employ Synctoy from Microsoft (there are other s/w products that do the same - assume same sort of thing exists for Ipad) to move your files automatically  either to the SD card (when its working and I am assuming it doesn't loose the data just the connection) or with you remote pc/desktop/tablet. That way you will be freeing up space on your SSD. 

Dont know what make SD card you are using but some of the cheap ones overheat which might cause a disconnect. You could use a USB connected memory stick,as you suggested, instead of the SD card to see if that solves your problem - even if temp measure.

Plus have you gone on the Minix forum ??

I suggest this as a short term solution until you find he problem.

@Stash_old. Thanks for the suggestion. I already have tools that can mirror files to the micro-SD card, but that still takes up space on the main SSD until I remove them. I'll try a standard USB stick. If it works it is a poor micro-SD card, poor socket, or this WIn 10 problem that Davey-T referred to. If it works I would be happy, I was only using the micro-SD card because there was an appropriate slot. I don't need the last USB socket at the moment.

"I already have tools that can mirror files to the micro-SD card, but that still takes up space on the main SSD until I remove them." - Software like Synctoy allows "move" and or copy so using "move" would free the space on the SSD.

Hope you get sorted.

using control panel\device manager, check the power settings for all attached devices, especially any usb bus devices. The power settings don't 'touch' every device. Also check that the SDHC Card is configured for 'quick removal'

16 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

using control panel\device manager, check the power settings for all attached devices, especially any usb bus devices. The power settings don't 'touch' every device. Also check that the SDHC Card is configured for 'quick removal'

Will do

Archived