Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoculars cheap vs pricey

JOC

A lot depends on what you use a binocular for. Most terrestrial views benefit from a good quality hence usually expensive model. Hand held binoculars are difficult to hold steady enough to critically examine stellar objects unless mounted, somewhat negating high quality. These days I find I use a hand held binocular solely for checking seeing transparency or whether the starlike point is the planet that we are trying to get the first glimpse of before picking it up in the narrower field telescope. For this purpose I find that inexpensive binoculars are quite adequate.  :icon_biggrin:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

A lot depends on what you use a binocular for. Most terrestrial views benefit from a good quality hence usually expensive model.

I've just had this experience myself - there really is a big difference in the requirement for astro vs terrestrial viewing. I've been using a Opticron Trailfinder 8x56 for both terrestrial and astro use and have been quite pleased with it (very bright, great eye relief, narrow FOV but very sharp; a bargain at £210). I don't get to use the full 7mm exit pupil anymore, but I'm getting all the light out of them that I possibly can.

Just traded up rather a lot - this Saturday I blew all my pocket money on an 8.5 x 42 Swaro EL. In daylight, where exit pupil limtations are a major issue, they are vastly superior - slightly higher magnification, a wider field, brighter (coatings I guess) and the colour is fantastic. Not regretting my purchase one iota.

For astro use - a quick side by side comparison on Saturday night suggests the Opticron 8 x 56 gives a better view of the night sky that the 8.5 x 42 Swaro EL, at 1/9 the price.

Billy.

Archived