Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

james_screech

Celestron PWI software

Does anyone know if the Celestron PWI software is compatible with mounts other then the CGX/CGX-L? More specifically the AVX?

Thanks
James

My initial thought would be a no as you have to connect the computer to the mount via USB, but not sure what is inside the mount after that.  It may be that there is a USB>Serial conversion going on inside the mount, but I reckon that does not happen and it just has a straight USB connection to the processor that does the controlling

Although I have just read on a bit more and it does mention in the handbook about a USB serial driver being installed and it then showing up as a COM port.

Will have to do some more reading on that one....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

Although I have just read on a bit more and it does mention in the handbook about a USB serial driver being installed and it then showing up as a COM port.

Will have to do some more reading on that one....

I was aware of the converter which was why I asked the question. I suppose I could just install the software and try it.

James

Sounds like a plan.  Let us know how you get on.

I have a feeling that it will not work as can't see Celestron miss an opportunity to make some more money by either selling newer mounts or a 'special' adaptor/lead to make it work with other mounts.

The latest version (renamed CPWI) is in beta testing within TeamCelestron and now embraces almost all Celestron mounts including GEM + Alt-Az with and without wedge, also Starsense.

There remain some issues with third party software and the odd bug. But for basic scope control it is excellent. It is similar to SkySafari, but runs in MS-Windows. 

On 21/02/2018 at 06:44, james_screech said:

Does anyone know if the Celestron PWI software is compatible with mounts other then the CGX/CGX-L? More specifically the AVX?

Thanks
James

Yup, it does support the AVX mount.

AstroBobG

• Like 1

On 11/04/2019 at 18:41, AstroBobG said:

Yup, it does support the AVX mount.

And with the latest beta update it is really, really good. The previous versions didn't implement ASCOM, but now it is a great piece of software.