SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

20x80 binoculars

Hampo

Hi all I have a pair of 20x80  binoculars  , and I was wondering if there is some sort of guide I could put on them , because by the time I get to look though then , I get lost at what I am trying to look at , any help please .

Hi, Hampo, and welcome to SGL.

20x80 are big binos and will give you some wonderful views. What are you mounting them on? If nothing (ie you are trying to hand-hold them steady) you will not be getting the best out of them. Personally, I found that a simple monopod (<£10 on amazon) suited me best. I can sit in my chair and move them onto any object and hold them steady, wherever the object is in the sky.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "guide". You can download "planetarium" software (Stellarium & Cartes du Ciel are both free) that will show you what is in the sky at the time you are observing. There is a book called Turn Left at Orion, which gives season-by-season objects to look for, most (if not all) of which will be within range of your bins, and includes detailed instructions on how to find them. If you mean you want some kind of finderscope, I'm not sure they are available for binoculars, but someone else may know different.

HTH

These may be of some help to fit to your binoculars. However, it requires that your binos are mounted on some form of tripod or monopod to work. Not tried them myself, but do want to get one to use on my binos at some point when I mount then on my binoculars tripod mount.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/binocular-accessories/celestron-rsr-binocular-tripod-adapter.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-starpointer-pro-finderscope.html

Hi Hampo 

The best investment I made for my large binoculars was a Parallelogram Mount.

It is so much easier and more comfortable to use than a tripod. Also, if you get the right one, it can be used from a reclined garden chair as well as from a standing position... 

It also allows observers of different heights to adjust the eyepiece height with the target remaining in view from one position to the other...

I, and several others on here, recently bought the version in the link below. It is well made and arrived from Ukraine in about 10 days. Valentin has sold many to UK and USA customers. Do a search here and on Cloudy Nights to form a view. Holds my 3.9kg 25x100 superbly  

http://astrodevices.net/mounts/parallelogram-standard-iii-pro

Hi there,

I have a pair of 20x80s. I mount them on an old Manfrotto 190 tripod via a quick release camera adaptor that I got from Amazon for about a tenner. When I want to look higher in the sky, I sit on a drum stool between the tripod legs. 

I would start by looking at the brighter objects (moon, Pleiades, bright stars), so you get used to using the binoculars and finding your way around.

Also, Stellarium on a computer does a pretty good job of simulating what you can expect to see. 

IMG_20180205_075400.thumb.jpg.4cd59a72f6ed944a0696d19b89e87b2a.jpgIMG_20180211_163552.thumb.jpg.76bc87c2dcd41595a77faa2850a43524.jpg

This is how I've got Stellarium set up to show what to expect ...

5a8d3b686b324_ScreenShot2018-02-21at09_26_29.png.dbb6564bc43bd53d65eeb621b0edf133.png

Kev

Archived