SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting beyond fustrated now

Aidan

I really do feel that i am fighting a losing battle here.  It just seems to be one problem after another.... I have patience (you have to in this game) but there is a limit.

I've spent best part of 2 months getting field flattening sorted out and have now just started to image again... well, at least try.

Firstly, the QHY5L-II camera started disconnecting from PHD2.. Spent 2 nights trying to sort that out.. switching cables etc.    I think that is now sorted.  It seemed to be a driver issue.

Now I cant get more than 1 image to download before SGP hangs up and i have to start all over again.    Its as if there is a bottleneck on the USB side of things.    Its an inconsistant problem, as when it happend the other day, after a full reset of SGP, PHD etc it managed to get 3 or 4 images before cloud stopped play.

I really am at a point where i want kick the whole lot out and be done with it...   I am totally and jolly well fed up with the whole imaging lark at the moment.. and at a loss at what i need to do to get a reliable imaging session in the bag.

Any suggestions?

Not sure I follow what you are suggesting Ken?

It’s at the point where the image is downloaded from the camera to the laptop when it hangs up.

I can connect/disconnect all the USB devices time after time... once connected they all stay connected 

Rgds

Aidan

Hi. I currently have my DSLR, ZWO asi120 guide camera and mount all connected to a mini usb hub at the mount and then an Active USB cable runs up the garden to my laptop inside the back door. I use eqmod, apt and CdC. Doesn't matter which order I connect them in they all start fine. However, when I start PHD2 and connect to the mount, it's fine, as soon as I hit connect camera it crashes the whole system! Eqmod times out and it usually is a restart laptop job. I fiddle about with swapping USB ports on the laptop and start with connecting PHD first. Once I get PHD connected to both mount and camera then I connect everything else and it usually works for the rest of the night but it's incredibly frustrating to get started. Like you, I suspect it's a USB/hub issue. The last time out while guiding, eqmod would randomly stop sidereal tracking mid guide and I had to keep an eye on it. Today I've ordered a Startech usb extender off eBay as I can't be arsed with hassle just trying to get it all started. I've read good reports of those Startech extenders. Expensive but as long as it works!

I have confidence in my cables etc... I can run it all for hours in the garage taking “blank” frames of the same duration - this simulating what’s going on outside....and it all seems to work fine.   It just seems to happen when taking real images.

Its now clouded over, so I have running 600s frame & focus ... you guessed it.... it’s not missing a beat and downloading the frames no problem!  

Based on what you just said, have a close look at what happens to your cables as you slew to different positions. Maybe you have some cable drag that is starting to pull on the connectors.

I'm thinking of that as a possible difference between a real imaging session and just testing the gear.

I've checked all that too.  I'm using a Pegaus Power Box, all the individual cables have strain relief on them.. There is a scrifcial joint (Active USB to USB cable) in case something gets snagged - same with power.   I'm not losing connection to any other hardware so i know its not snagging - nor am i losing connection to the power box which is the power/usb hub for all the indivdiual connections.

When in my garage testing, i put the mount on sidereal - so its simulating exactly as it is outside with full movement on the mount axises..  

What really bugs me is after the clouds rolled in - i left it tracking and fully connected and took images of nothing for the next 2 hours without a single hang up.... go figure that out!   

Video across USB has many places it can go wrong. The USB protocols are not the most robust and much USB hardware is built down the lowest possible price / quality (even if it is sold at "reassuringly expensive" prices). On top of that, the ability of hubs to supply enough power to USB devices is often a problem.

And if you are trying to push video from your guide-cam at the same time as downloading a full frame from your imager, then yes, it sounds possible that your USB set-up is flaky. Though I would expect that you are using exactly the same USB driver(s) that everyone else uses, so that is unlikely to be a cause of your problems.

While I don't think it is necessary to invest in industrial grade USB kit (hubs, cables) I do use a decent 7-port USB2 hub with a beefy external power supply and some better-than-average commercial cables (3 m long).

Even so, I find that the three cameras I have connected to that: a QHY5L-ii, a QHY6 and a DSLR don't "play nice" if I power them up in the wrong sequence. I find I need to have the QHY5 running before the QHY6 is connected, or the QHY5 (guider) hangs occasionally.

I'm sceptical about these boxes. They are one more thing to go wrong. I think I've sent four of them back on behalf of our robotic kit owners, only one of those being a Pegasus, to be fair. The simplest (though untidiest) solution is just to have one cable doing one job.  No hubs. If you have run out of USB sockets get rid of something you don't need - like autofocus if you have it. I've read many grumbling threads about QSI drivers, too, but I've never had a QSI camera. I prefer to run 'bare bones' and, where possible, to run gadgets in their own software - so I use Atik cameras in Atik software, for instance.

Olly

Back in the day when I was still using a guide cam I had loads of problems with hubs not playing nice. In the end I had the camera and filter wheel plugged into the hub in the Trius camera, and a USB from that to the laptop, and another for EQMOD to the mount, always plugging into the same ports.

In my latest configuration I have the filter wheels on the Trius and ASI plugged into their respective camera hubs, and the output from the cameras into the hub on the ASA. This seems to work OK. At least for now, fingers crossed.

So, Last night was... well the only word i can think of is "Synergy"    A complete contrast the previous nights!   Got everything setup and everything connected straight away.  First image started about 7.30pm.. it ran pretty much flawlessly unitl 1am.   Only problem was on a slew from IC1805 to NGC2238 the guide cam USB cable got a very small snag and disconnected momentarily.. Unplug/Plug in and it was back and working.  

I cant put my finger on anything specific... i checked every connection on both power, USB and the UPB itself.  Did a continutiy check on the power cable to ensure that was ok..   Checked loads of power settings on my laptop etc.   But the effort paid off.

I'm still not happy with the main Power feed from my 12v invertor to the rig.  Its got a couple of un-needed joins it.   I'll be making a new one tonight for that purpose.   Fingers crossed that the bulk of the problems are now behind me and collecting photons is uninterrupted!

Rgds

Aidan

Archived