Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Jellyfish

mikey2000

I could probably do with spending a bit more time on data gathering here but here is my first IC443 Jellyfish:

15x 60s for R G B, 77x 60s L and 8x 300s for Ha.

202 mins total

39484155005_7b99f7888c_o.jpg

Now, an interesting thing happened in the Ha subs.  Here's the result of just Ha.  What's that big thing around the brightest star? It looks like an extreme out-of-focus view superimposed on top.  It only shows in the Ha exposures. (Maybe it's hidden in the L and R if I stretch them enough.)  Is it the result of some kind of internal reflection or light bouncing around the inside of my reflector's tube?

It's also visible around the smaller stars too....

40384689021_c47864bf07_h.jpg

(I had to cheat a little with the clone stamp to get rid of the big halo in the end)

I think bright stars can cause some reflection halos from the Ha filter coatings.  I often see them on my Ha subs but not so much on luminance.  I can beat them down a bit with a star reducing routine I use in PaintShop Pro (the poor man’s Adobe)...

Nice images for all that though. I think the halos add a bit of reality.

A very nice jelly fish,

As already said its probably internal reflection, due to the longer HA

sub lengths its more pronounced.

Or it could be a touch of moisture starting to form on you optics

if the optics were clear, then go for the reflection

Paul

Archived