Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging target suggestions ED80?

tooth_dr

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

How about NGC 4236 in Draco? It's not too faint at mag 10.7 but it's huge, 22' by 5', yes that's not a typo, twenty-two by five arcminutes! Surface brightness is low but its sheer size should make the pic rewarding.

Never heard of it! Will take a look. Thanks. 

As you might know, I am a big fan of the ED80 and it's versitility.   Here is my attempt at Markarian's Chain the other night.... I think it is an object that if you give it enough time it will keep presenting new objects....

5a8c7c85c89bf_Markarianchain54min80ED0.8X800PScrop.thumb.jpg.58a020e588cd1122c71152257a97292e.jpg

This was total of 56mins...(4min subs)  with 0.8x FR attached.

Sean.

2 minutes ago, Craney said:

As you might know, I am a big fan of the ED80 and it's versitility.   Here is my attempt at Markarian's Chain the other night.... I think it is an object that if you give it enough time it will keep presenting new objects....

5a8c7c85c89bf_Markarianchain54min80ED0.8X800PScrop.thumb.jpg.58a020e588cd1122c71152257a97292e.jpg

This was total of 56mins...(4min subs)  with 0.8x FR attached.

Sean.

Thanks Sean. If I wanted to image that, what object would I want to centre on?

... and if you really want to go for Gold.....   try the Witches Head Nebula.....

I had total faith (!!)  in my alignment and positioning  and did  30mins  (2min subs as the light pollution was horrid)  with the same 80mmED with 0.8x FR, even though nothing was recognisable on the camera back... got this....

5a8c7dc029688_Witcheshead30mins80ed0.8x800unproc.thumb.jpg.5b42cec2629385aed884696c5aa61f10.jpg

Well it suffers from all sort of defects... and possibly rates as 'most retrograde astrophoto of the year'... but it's there... I can see it......  yay!!!!

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

That is a very good question.   I think I went for M86 but after processing I felt that a little bit of the chain had been left out on the left hand side.   I have cropped the photo a bit to leave out 'less exciting regions'.

Try this resource

http://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/imaging-toolbox/

and play around with your FL's , cameras and FR's !!!

Sean.

1 minute ago, Craney said:

That is a very good question.   I think I went for M86 but after processing I felt that a little bit of the chain had been left out on the left hand side.   I have cropped the photo a bit to leave out 'less exciting regions'.

Try this resource

http://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/imaging-toolbox/

and play around with your FL's , cameras and FR's !!!

Sean.

Thanks Sean, much appreciated 

9 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

In the field (no internet) SkySafari is great for this. I have my field of view displayed and usually just position and rotate it over the targets to get a good composition. The deep sky objects are all shown, the bigger ones with images which makes this super easy. Once I've got it I just read the Ra, Dec and rotation from the display.

1 hour ago, AngryDonkey said:

In the field (no internet) SkySafari is great for this. I have my field of view displayed and usually just position and rotate it over the targets to get a good composition. The deep sky objects are all shown, the bigger ones with images which makes this super easy. Once I've got it I just read the Ra, Dec and rotation from the display.

Which version is suitable? Price varies from £2.99-38.99

• 1 month later...

Archived