SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoculars for Astronomy Outreach

FLO

Steve Tonkin, the man behind the Binocular Sky website and the Binocular Sky Newsletter, is on a mission to get binoculars in kids hands and show them the night sky :bino2: 

His choice of binocular for this project is the 8x42 Opticron Adventurer T WP

We can see why, we have been recommending the larger 10x50 binocular for some time. It is, in our opinion, the best binocular for astronomy <£100. 

Steve has understandably chosen the smaller 8x magnification model because it is easier for kids to use. 

To help his project get off to a good start FLO are donating six binoculars and Opticron UK have generously offered to match the number of funded binoculars, one-to-one, up to ten binoculars. 

Well done Steve :icon_salut::smile:

opticron_adventurer_t_wp_8x42.jpg

Steve & FLO,

Thank you so much for this. It not only completes the hand-held bit of the project (I've also ordered the other six from Opticron), but it makes the mounted larger-aperture binocular(s) "extension" bit of the project imminently feasible.

That's very generous of FLO and Opticron and a fantastic project from Steve T. I love this idea, my 4 year old loves looking through my bins and giggles hysterically at what he can see, I'm hoping this excitement will extend to the night sky one day. :thumbright:

Well done both Steve's from a fellow binocular appreciator :) I think 8x42's will be perfect for kids to hand hold, I hope all goes well, and I'll pop along to the page to donate shortly

Donation made, hope you get plenty more and good luck :) 

• 2 weeks later...

These (and the Opticron ones) have now arrived, and are all "strapped up" with 3rd-party tethered rainguard-type eyepiece covers. Nice crate of binos ready to go. First session will be a local school in a couple of weeks. Thanks, FLO! And thanks everyone else who has supported this.

(Initial target has been exceeded, so Phase II, a couple of larger mounted binos, is becoming possible.)

CrateOfBinos.jpg

• 10 months later...

Update: Thanks to all those who supported this.

The binos have been invaluable; The hand-helds alone have shown more than 150 people, mostly youngsters, things that they might not otherwise have seen, Most importantly, I can let them "play" independently while I do some directed observing with another part of the group.

Image: Two sets of "p-mounted 80s" were put to good use at an outreach event last Friday.

Chafyn80mm.jpg.d6f89554ff21c5b8bf1f7761a146e3c2.jpg

Archived