SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSO Imaging With 150PL - M81

bobro

Having acquired a SkyWatcher 150PL some months ago, I took some time to improve the guiding on my CG5 in order to make best use of the 150PL. My second image with it (below) is M81 : 31 subs @ 300 secs plus 18 @ 600 secs. Processed in DSS and GIMP.

Although the 150PL isn't the most popular DSO imaging scope and is a bit slow at f#8, at least it doesn't need a coma corrector. If anyone else would like to share their DSO images taken with a 150PL I would love to see them.

M81v500b.jpg

Thanks for the comments - much appreciated.

@Allinthehead- yes the background is a bit blue (colour balance isn't my strength!).

11 hours ago, cuivenion said:

What do you use to guide?

Orion 50mm guidescope with AR0130 webcam, PHD2 and AstroEQ. CG5 mount has belt driven NEMA14 stepper motors - an improvement of about 30% over standard SkyWatcher gear drive stepper motors.

22 hours ago, bobro said:

Although the 150PL isn't the most popular DSO imaging scope and is a bit slow at f#8, at least it doesn't need a coma corrector. If anyone else would like to share their DSO images taken with a 150PL I would love to see them.

That' a really nice image Bobro, sets me a challenge!

I started with a 150PL, here are a few of my more recent attempts, most suffering from a lack of subs, an EQ5 would be an advantage for the 150PL!

Oh dear gone a bit OTT....

m1 crab.png

M57.png

M27.png

NGC2903 Again.png

M51 rotated.png

NAN 2.png

2 sessions Blackeye.png

30 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I started with a 150PL, here are a few of my more recent attempts, most suffering from a lack of subs, an EQ5 would be an advantage for the 150PL!

Thanks for the images Neil - I wondered if you would come along to post some.....

They must have come from the 150PL on your EQ3 mount - certainly a challenge! Although I took time to improve the guiding on my CG5, the M81 image was the longest I have attempted so far at over 5 hours. A surprise to me, in addition to the SNR improvement, was the sharpness included making stars smaller. Your images above look pretty good and additional subs could make quite an improvement.

Here is image #3 (my latest) with my 150PL : a less than clear sky with guiding going all over the place. 26 subs @ 300 secs. Needs more subs of course!

Bob

M101v1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/2/2018 at 22:28, bobro said:

images taken with a 150PL I would love to see them

Hi. The Bresser version of the same. It's 150mm f8. Great for getting closer, but the only way we've found to get consistent results is with an OAG. HTH.

Archived