stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

Off centre M42 in HaRGB. 100D and Star 71

On 19/02/2018 at 20:28, StargeezerTim said:

RGB subs, 21 X 4 sec, 24 X 55 sec, 31 X 4 min, all at iso 800 with CLS filter. Ha 25 X 30 sec, 24 X 5 min, iso 1600. Blats and Bias, Dithered, DSS and PS and hours of processing!

Really very nice image - I prefer the non-cropped version but they are both great images.

Can I ask what combination of cameras/scopes you used?

Thank you for sharing.

Adrian

46 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Really very nice image - I prefer the non-cropped version but they are both great images.

Can I ask what combination of cameras/scopes you used?

Thank you for sharing.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I used a modded Canon 100D and my Star 71.

• Thanks 1

That looks great, how there is something not right with the brightest part of M42 (if you zoom in), the stars - I suspect in the Ha and RGB are not aligned to each other.  

A great step forward though.

Carole 

4 hours ago, carastro said:

That looks great, how there is something not right with the brightest part of M42 (if you zoom in), the stars - I suspect in the Ha and RGB are not aligned to each other.  

A great step forward though.

Carole 

To be honest, I think even 4 second subs might have been too long!  And you are right, on close inspection there is a misalignment. For some reason the Ha and RGB  images had trouble lining up perfectly, even though the same scope was used. The method I use involves aligning the layers three times, once when combining the Red channel and Ha Layer, once when pasting the combined layer back into the red channel and again when layering the Ha onto the RGB channel, so there is plenty of room for error! Perhaps I'll try again... but not today! :icon_biggrin:

Update... after some nifty detective work, I found the problem was in combining the two Ha images. They were not aligned properly, hence the double stars in the core!

Edited by StargeezerTim
  • Like 1