Narrowband

Cluster buster 18/2/18

domstar

Despite clearoutside promising 100 percent cloud for the next four days, I was surprised and excited by the sight of a crescent moon through the window. As twilight darkened I had some nice views of Mare Crisium and as Orion's belt appeared I thought I'd try the usual doubles. The lack of complete darkness didn't seem to have a detrimental effect and maybe even helped. Rigel was an easy split at 90x Meissa looked beautiful and I could almost hold the Trapezium E star directly. The star of the show, though, was Sigma Orionis whose 4th star I saw for the first time (thanks to skyandtelescope).

After a break I was ready for something wider. So to Messiers 41,50,47,46 and 93. M 93 the Butterfly Cluster was the lowest but still the most impressive with a butterfly shape and stars on the edge of vision. Through a gap in the trees I even managed M79 globular cluster in Lepus. None of these were perfectly placed and suffered from glare from the town lights onto the snow but they were all very watchable. When I pointed upwards it was a different story. The Orion nebula was deliciously nebulous and the Pleiades (not usually my favourite) looked spectacular.

It was a rare night this winter and I think the first time I ended a session of my own volition as opposed to the weather ending it. As I packed away after failing to grap the Crab (I usually finish on a failure- it tells me my patience has run dry), I could see my breath inside the living room. 

I'd just like to thank my wife for agreeing not to watch a film in the living room. I'd better go and earn some more Brownie points.

Thanks for reading.

55 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Nice report, but I thought the butterfly cluster was M6 in Scorpius?

So it is. You are right. Stellarium calls M 93 the Butterfly Cluster but the internet gives M 6 that moniker. Thanks for the tip-off.

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

Did you get any colour differences from Sigma Orionis?

No, not at all. To be honest it took Alberio to show me this is even possible. I love Al Salib in Delphinus but it took me a few goes to notice a colour difference. I'll look out for it in Sigma Ori now.

12 minutes ago, domstar said:

No, not at all. To be honest it took Alberio to show me this is even possible. I love Al Salib in Delphinus but it took me a few goes to notice a colour difference. I'll look out for it in Sigma Ori now.

I don't think you will see any significant differences in Sigma Orionis as they are all blue-white or blue stars. I do like it as a multiple though, the tiny fourth star is great to pick up.

Archived