Narrowband

M37 Open Cluster in Auriga

kirkster501

Forty minutes each RGB with 3-minute exposures 1x1 with G2-8300 and Astrodon filters through the FSQ85 at native FL.  Luminance not such a big deal for star clusters.  Not so sure this works so well in a wider field because so many stars detract somewhat from the cluster.  A simple preprocess followed by Multiscale Linear transform to remove background noise and a quick styretch and curves. All in Pixinsight.   I find these large star fields quite hard to prcoess if I am honest and need to research it more and practise.  You get one part right and then other parts look wrong...!

Anyway, here it is.  Critiques and suggestions always welcomed at Kirkster towers.

M37.thumb.jpg.1a54e01c52c086628cbd4b7bb23c8899.jpg

Nothing wrong with the shot but I agree with you having done this, not as well may I say, the other week. I liked mine more when i cropped it, it added to the composition, you have plenty of details in there to do a better job than I did. As you say it gets lost, mine did and there were nowhere near as many stars visible.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

THis one is a harder one to process than M36 the other week.  There are very many more background stars to M37.  There is a red giant in the heart of M37 that is hard to bring out the colour without imparting a redish hue over the rest of the field of stars.

Archived