Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Mexican Bob

Celestron CG5 Advanced GT mount

Hi. I’m quite new to astronomy and a GEM . Bought a second hand CG5 without proper knowledge of what I should have been looking for. I think that I have a problem with Dec axis travel. I’ll try to explain but please bare with me if I’m not making total sense. RA axis travel in both directions is good ( in smoothness and speed ).So is the Dec axis travel going clockwise, but anti-clockwise, the motor is slow and sounds laboured. I’ve replaced the motor in case it was that ,but the problem persists. Also when I release the direction button, the motor continues to slew for 2 or 3 seconds. Has anyone had a similar problem or has anyone any ideas how I can fix this? 

Thanks in advance 

Ola Bob !

Does the dec labour without the OTA?

If it doesn't labour then it sounds like OTA balance - in one direction the weight is aiding the motor, in the other it's  overloading the motor.

If it's the same witthout the OTA then i would check the gear mesh.

I'm sure I've seen mention of continued motor operation before but cant remember the details....

Michael 

Hi Micheal. 

Thanks for your reply. Yes the motor does still labour without the OTA. When I replaced the motor,before assembling l held the gear with my finger and thumb then ran the motor. Clockwise, I couldn’t stop the motor but anti-clockwise it was quite easy to stop it. Because the original motor did this also ,I thought that maybe this was normal and that I’d replaced it for nothing. (Expensive mistake. But at least I have a spare motor). Anyway when I’ve fitted it ,the problem is still there. Hence this post. I’ll check the gear mesh and try and find any articles on the continued motor operation.. Do you think it might have anything to do with the small circuit board on the Dec motor side of the mount.?

Thanks for the suggestions Micheal..

If you tested the new motor before installing and found it too behaved strangely, then the gear mesh is not the cause.

Can you check the volts to the motor in each direction with a multimeter?

Assuming you tested it off the mount but connected to the electronics, and considering  the slew overrun, its beginning to sound like a motor control board issue.

Michael 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gutaker
      Hi guys, it's my first post here, so Hello!
      My synscan goto upgrade started to act like in this video of mine SynScan GOTO Skipping after being disassembled for few weeks in the closet. There were no such problems before.
      When it slews at rates above x3 everything is fine and smooth but as soon as it starts tracking at x3, it skips steps or something like that.
      My setup is eq3-2 on alu and SW 150/750 with Canon 700D attached.
      Thanks in advance for any clues or ideas!

• By Forunke
      Ok, so this is a really annoying bug / problem that I have with my setup:
      From time to time, in non regular intervals the image my guiding cam (ZWO ASI120) send seems to get flipped / mirrored or looks like it's from a completely different patch of sky.
      When I'm paying attention to the guide images I can clearly see that the image seems to be flipped in some way.
      It only happens for 1 frame PHD send a warning ( No star found / Star lost Mass changed) and after that everything is fine again. My gear is all connected to a single USB3 Hub which then runs via powered USB3 cable to my Pc.
      I'm not binning and have the noise reduction off (though PHD might got hickups while processing) but it still happens. Sometimes there are minutes between two events sometimes it happens 5 times in a row.
      It also seems like it's only happening during guiding, I haven't seen it happen during calibration yet...

I'm completely clueless what's happening or how to get rid of it, any help / idea is greatly appreciated.
    • By elbaztardo
      Hi Guys, this is my first post so would like to say what a great resource this has been over the years. Any problem I've ever had the answer has been here. Until now. 

Just wondering is anyone else having a problem with horizontal banding on the Atik Horizon. My high gain subs have terrible lines across them which is made worse by stacking. The lines are also present in low gain subs when stacked. See attached pic of 1 300s high gain image.
      Hopefully it's just my camera and not a feature of the product.
      I realise this can be a CMOS issue but surely Atik haven't released a product with this problem? Certainly not at this price?

• By MikeODay
      I am trying to understand why the declination position reported by my new EQ8 - Synscan 4 hand controller keeps changing.
      After starting my aligned scope from Park the declination reported by the hand set ( Utilities/Show Position/  "Dec/Ra" ) slowly increases ( around 7" / minute when I first measured it ).  However, the  rotation angle of the declination/altitude axis of the mount ( Utilities/Show Position/ "Ax1/Ax2" ) is reported as being constant ( as one would expect if the mount is not receiving an instruction to move ).  That is, it would appear that the motor is not running and the encoders on the shaft are not detecting any rotation of the mount's altitude axis however the Sysnscan reports that the Celestial declination is slowly changing.
      Does anyone know if this is a bug or a feature?
      It did occur to me that maybe the Synscan is trying to compensate for the declination drift that would result from the Polar Alignment error as stored in the controller after alignment.  To test this, I adjusted the Polar Alignment to try to reduce the error and see if it changed the drift rate.  The initial results do not support this - after much tweaking of the alignment, and with an indicated polar alignment error of less than 15" in either axis, the rate of drift changed but was still around 5" / minute ( whereas it should be << 1 with so small a Polar Alignment error ).  
      Has anyone else noticed this slow change in declination reported by the mount/Synscan when the mount is tracking in RA?
      -----
      EQ8 MC Firmware version: 2.11.04
      Synscan HW version: 4.16
      Synscan firmware version: 4.39.04
    • By AustinM
      Hi guys,
      This is my first post in here and apologies if someone has asked this question already but I have searched the forum for this answer and couldn't find one.
      So the problem I have with my mount is that there is a few seconds lag (1-2 seconds) to control input on both RA and DEC axis when I switch the control input to the opposite direction. It happens when I use both the Skywatcher Dual Axis Motor drive kit or even the manual precise controls. There is a slight "give" in the mount when I move it by hand from side to side. It just seems sloppy, like there's too much room between the moving parts inside the mount itself.
      My questions:
      Is this "give" normal?
      Can I fix it? 

Thanks for reading

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.