Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies.thumb.jpg.d7ac9ec2b53bebbaffa8a76a92120303.jpg

Andyk93

Horsehead HA + rgb

Andyk93    74

Hi, this is my first full image with my setup. Taken with WO star71 II and atik 383L+. It’s 4hr40 of 10 minute HA subs. 3x10minute red, 5x10minute blue, 5x10minute green. I’m pretty sure others would get a much better result out of the data. The peaks of the histogram weren’t equal because I had to throw away a lot of red subs so I’m assuming that’s why it’s more pink than red. Thanks for looking and any feedback/pointers greatly appreciated. 

44292B2D-83B0-414B-B8D1-BFC0F3A8F24F.thumb.jpeg.711c820d9b288a6dde8228564982f11b.jpeg

• Like 7

DougM43    83

That’s lovely, it has a real ghostly deep space feel to it.

• Thanks 1

Andyk93    74
1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Nice. I agree that more data would help (but isn't that always the case?:icon_biggrin:)

It definitely is, although this uk weather doesn’t help anyone

• Like 1

Stub Mandrel    6,875

Very nice, but using Ha for luminance means you have 'lost' the blue reflection nebulae near the bottom. Are they in your blue data?

You could replace the missing red subs with Ha ones...

Andyk93    74
1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Very nice, but using Ha for luminance means you have 'lost' the blue reflection nebulae near the bottom. Are they in your blue data?

You could replace the missing red subs with Ha ones...

I will have a look in the blue data and see what’s happened. I didn’t realise until you pointed it out, and will also try to add the missing red subs with ha ones because I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks very much for the help!

iansmith    138

Very nice. I quite like the softer pinkish tones rather than the usual bold red.

Cheers, Ian

• Thanks 1

Shibby    565

Nice job! You've done well to control the bright stars.

The pink colour comes from using Ha as luminance. I normally add a little to luminance then also blend it in as a red layer.

• Thanks 1

peter shah    863

Beautiful detail but as said before pink more than red. Its more to do with the high signal in the H-alpha Luminance layer. You can balance it by processing the rgb as you normally would. Then only push the HA process as far as the RGB so that the signals match. You can also add the HA as a red layer combined to the original RGB. But it can cause your star colour to do strange things, this can be fixed by adding a star layer separately processed.  

Andyk93    74
13 hours ago, peter shah said:

Beautiful detail but as said before pink more than red. Its more to do with the high signal in the H-alpha Luminance layer. You can balance it by processing the rgb as you normally would. Then only push the HA process as far as the RGB so that the signals match. You can also add the HA as a red layer combined to the original RGB. But it can cause your star colour to do strange things, this can be fixed by adding a star layer separately processed.  

Thanks for those pointers, I’ll give it a go tonight again. I think there is a tool in pixinsight that balances signal in the channels so I’ll see if that helps too