Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

I didn't notice there was a Galaxy competition!  So I thought'd I'd enter the one I posted a few days ago! :)

Had some issues with my optical train, which meant I had issues with vignetting and post processing was a nightmare.
Lost a lot of detail and data, but this was what I managed to salvage. Still happy with it, for my 1st attempt at M33.

Taken on the 13th of Feb, Chorley, UK.
Skywatcher 200p, NEQ6, QHY5L-M guide Camera, Canon 1100D.
24x 300s Lights
25x Darks, Flats and Bias
A LOT of photoshop and cropping (to try and save some sort of image!)

M33 Triangulum.jpg

• Like 6

Really nice- especially if you had such a fight in post processing to get something you were happy with.

Posted (edited)

Very impressive! :)
Your pic was a lost drop in the cup! :)
I will mod my Canon 1300D :) How is your canon behaving in a day use with Baader? any difference?

P.S.

Have you moded your secondary mirror or placed something on it as bright stars have strange shadow in between the spikes. I have something similar with 130PDS using Coma Corrector, 

but in my case, I can literally see 1 shadow from the Focuser on all-stars, but in your pic  - there are 2 shadows (left top, left bottom)... or is it also caused by Coma Corrector?

Edited by RolandKol

On 12/03/2018 at 09:23, RolandKol said:

Very impressive! :)
Your pic was a lost drop in the cup! :)
I will mod my Canon 1300D :) How is your canon behaving in a day use with Baader? any difference?

Hi Roland, Thanks! :)

I've only had the Baader filter fitted, and had it shimmed.
It came back with a custom white balance on, so works ok in the day.   Only issue, is it will give odd effects under Tungsten lights.  Anything else is all ok.
I believe this is who I used, here's the page with details
http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Dual-Astro-Daylight-Cameras.html

On 12/03/2018 at 09:23, RolandKol said:

Have you moded your secondary mirror or placed something on it as bright stars have strange shadow in between the spikes. I have something similar with 130PDS using Coma Corrector, 

but in my case, I can literally see 1 shadow from the Focuser on all-stars, but in your pic  - there are 2 shadows (left top, left bottom)... or is it also caused by Coma Corrector?

I've not modded the mirror, and this shadown that you see has been irritating me for a while.
I thought it was poor collimation... so I spent a LOT of hours collimating again, but from what I remember (not been out for a while, skies have been terrible) it still happens.
I was starting to think it is the Skywatcher Coma corrector causing it. 
I'll keep messing and figure it out. Next decent sky, I'll try with no corrector and with, see if there's a difference. And again, check collimation.

• Like 1

I bet it's Coma Corrector...
It looks like SW Newtonians hate to work with them correctly...
I wanted to "Circumcise" my focuser tube for that reason, but it looks like radical collimation (I tightened bolts to the limit and pushed primary mirror as much as possible) solved the problem

and my stars looked worse than yours...

I am not yet 100% sure it fixed, as had only very short window for tests and only few short exposures... :(

3 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

I bet it's Coma Corrector...
It looks like SW Newtonians hate to work with them correctly...
I wanted to "Circumcise" my focuser tube for that reason, but it looks like radical collimation (I tightened bolts to the limit and pushed primary mirror as much as possible) solved the problem

and my stars looked worse than yours...

I am not yet 100% sure it fixed, as had only very short window for tests and only few short exposures... :(

Yes it will be the coma corrector the SW coma corrector is also a mild reducer (0.9) and so it moves the focus back towards the OTA tube causing the draw tube to move further into the light path than in the case of a MPCC MK3.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Adam J said:

Yes it will be the coma corrector the SW coma corrector is also a mild reducer (0.9) and so it moves the focus back towards the OTA tube causing the draw tube to move further into the light path than in the case of a MPCC MK3.

So, a shorter drawtube would fix this?  I have a Moonlite, so I can easily buy one.

Or would the MPCC Mk3 be a better solution?
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/baader-mpcc-visual-photographic-set.html

Edited by Hailfire101

4 hours ago, Hailfire101 said:

So, a shorter drawtube would fix this?  I have a Moonlite, so I can easily buy one.

Or would the MPCC Mk3 be a better solution?
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/baader-mpcc-visual-photographic-set.html

You can try moving the primary mirror as far up the tube as you can on its adjustment screws first.

After that I would tend to go with chopping the draw tube down to size....but you have to take care

But as you say to be honest I think I would have a preference for using a MPCC MKIII over the SW CC just because the SWCC also has some issues with reflections on brighter stars.

Funnily enough, this popped up on my facebook this morning....  This is how my stars used to look.
So I know I NEED the 38mm drawtube now. But the MPCC MKIII is also on the shopping list too! :)
Thank you for you advice.

star.jpg

At the end... I ended up circumcising my Focuser's Drawtube...
I did 1cm off, - better, but not enough :)
Will repeat the ceremony next week

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 10:08, RolandKol said:

At the end... I ended up circumcising my Focuser's Drawtube...
I did 1cm off, - better, but not enough :)
Will repeat the ceremony next week

Its looking like what I will do too!
At £75 for a new draw tube... seems daft. I'll just cut.