Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Handy_Andy

Markarian's Chain

Had a go at Markarian's Chain on Thursday night. Should have done longer subs but I'm pretty pleased with what I got

5a88bc2fcf59d_MarkariansChain.thumb.jpg.63b4ea49020cd3639096f303e4a1d73d.jpg

• Like 21

Nice one.... there are so many fuzzys in there it is difficult to know where to centre the FOV.

Galaxtic smorgasbord....

Which one is the weakest link in the chain?

They are 10 minute subs but my guiding was spot on and should have done 15. Didn't swing round until nearly 2am so I was pretty tired to be out so long what with getting up for work at 5 the previous morning. Bit more data and it'll be a treat.

Of course it looks like a cracking piece of sky so I'm thinking of a nice big mosaic with a longer fl to get better detail. But now I've said that there's bound to be clouds until April ?

Really nice start!

I wonder if longer subs would be the right way to go since your stars are a bit blown out already (unless that happened in processing). More subs are probably better medicine (or a set of shorter subs to save the stars and galactic cores). What scope did you use? I notice that your stars are oval in the corners. If you used the ED80 with the Lightwave reducer (which I assume is also a flattener)  it may not be at the right distance from your chip.

Cheers