sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Favourite Class Of Object, And Reasons

My favorite object is any object that I find for the first time. There is nothing like seeing a planet , open cluster, Glob ,galaxy for the first time. It is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when you experience an target for the first time.

But if I had to be tied down to a particular type of object then it would have to be Globs. Why ? Because they are just such a feast for the eyes. Looking at a Glob is beautiful and memorising. Every time I see a Glob it is like looking at a jewel of tightly packet diamonds in the Sky's . In my opinion the most beautiful objects to look at in the night Sky's has to be Globs. 

Edited by Timebandit
  • Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Visual appeal - and other reasons. The Sun and Moon are entities on their own, so not actually in a "class" at least as far as observing is concerned.  (No class of very close stars or moons.)

Doug, your challenge was to pick just one class, so that is what I shall do. For me it is nebulae. Two of my favourite objects are the North America and Veil Nebulae. I love the fact that they ar

Oh yes galaxies definitely. I've only got 100mm of aperture but I don't really care what they look like - it's the wonder. I also like looking at beautiful things but seeing amazing things with my own

Variety is the spice of life ;) I have great memories of each and every type of object. My slight curveball would be to say that I enjoy the events the best. Last year, I have the strongest memories of Comet Johnson, Asteroid Florence and the Nova in Scutum. They’re special cosmic events that only a smal number of people on the planet will pay attention too. I enjoy the posts of people comparing their observations and sketches. The Nova I found thanks to a sketch from @Moonshane. Each event is unique and will not be repeated so you have to grab the opportunity to see them when they do occur.

Not really a proper answer as it isn’t a specific type but an answer none the less ;) 

• Like 2

It`s always great to tick a new galaxy or nebula off the list , but in terms of what I spend the most time on , it has to be Globular clusters every time - they have the biggest wow factor by far - I seen M13 properly tonight ( in a scope rather than binoculars ) for the first time since last Summer and " hello , old friend " were the first words to spring to mind . 

• Like 1
On 17 February 2018 at 17:19, ronl said:

Globular Clusters are my favourite target, they are so mesmerising, beautiful in my

humble opinion.

Globulars are my favourite too, and in the same vein elliptical (E) or SO (spiral, mainly core) galaxies. 

Visually & spectroscopically they have most Population II stars, those redder & further along or off the HR main scale. 

M13 was my first DSO ever, and the dwarf elliptical galaxy companion to M31, my first of those. 

I would love to see Omega Centauri, 47 Tucanae & other well known southern globulars one day. In the meantime more of our own to marvel at. 

• Like 2

I closed the poll too early at my previous analysis, so now, after five days, I have done an updated/revised one.  (You got in just in time, John!)

Globs have pulled further ahead of the field, and doubles have put in minor appearance (not as strong as might have been expected).

Further favourites (which couldn't be classified) included objects seen for the first time, and unique cosmic events.

We now have:

Globs - 30%

Galaxies - 22%

Solar System Objects - 22%

Nebulae - 20%

Open Clusters - 4%

Doubles - 2%

Thanks again to all who took part in this bit of fun.  A limited sample, yes, but a clear pattern has emerged I believe.

Poll now closed!

Doug.

29 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I am surprised that open clusters are so low ?

Me too, but it was only a small sample, and if second and third placings were taken into account (instead of just first or equal first), I bet OCs would have fared better.  I would definitely put them in my top three!  NGC 869 & 884 - fabulous!

Doug.

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

I am surprised that open clusters are so low ?

I prefer globs but I will admit to soft spot for open clusters where there's more than one visible - M35 in Gemini being the best example with a fainter NGC object in the same field of view.. but I can't think of many like that hence, for me globs win overall :)

I can't think of a favourite, but when the Moon and planets are about I tend to spend most my time on them. Otherwise, I like PN's, open clusters, and globs. I've only ever seen a few galaxies (m31, 81, 82), but with more aperture and darker skies I bet they would go higher up my list of favourites. 

Please don’t get me wrong, I like ‘em all, but for me galaxies are literally light years ahead of the rest. 

All of the other  stuff, clusters, nebulae are all encompassed in one of those smudges of light through the eye piece, or delicate structure captured on an image.

It is the sheer scale of the universe that they convey that does it for me?

• Like 2

I've only been doing this for a couple of months but got into it because I wanted to see galaxies, and they haven't let me down. I'm working my way through the Messiers and whenever I find a new one it gives me a shiver, even if on a purely visual level you can't actually see much compared to closer objects! Mind you, it being winter, haven't seen a globular yet (properly - I did find M3 last night but, for boring reasons I won't go into, the mirror had condensation on it so it was just a blob). 

Edited by Hungrymark

I've done a couple of analyses which put globs as the favourite class, but recent posts suggest that galaxies have crept up on them.

Choosing a clear favourite has evidently been difficult though, since everything out there has its own appeal and fascination!

Thanks once more for your contributions everyone.

Doug.

Globular star clusters. I find them intriguing - very old -mysterious through bins or small scopes (as just on the threshold of resolution) -amazing when viewed through a big dob - beautiful when imaged at any scale. I like to try to imagine what the night sky might look like if viewed from a planet orbiting a star in a globular star cluster.