Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Vince 2018

Advanced GT mount

Hello all, i have a Celestron Advanced GT mount and i want to center the riticule on the polar scope. my problem is the mount won't go below 50deg even though i have removed the back screw. i was trying to get the mount flat so i could use a tv mast to center the scope....any help would be great...Thank You Vin

Hi,

Welcome to SGL.

I understand you can remove the front DEC adjustment bolt and just use the other bolt to adjust the mount in DEC to get a low terrestrial object in view to check the polar scope is in alignment with the mount hole. 

Best regards,
Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls

You can also try lowering the leg(s) facing the direction you need, or elevating the one(s) in the rear, to tilt the entire mount and tripod. Make sure to remove the counterweight first so as not to cause the mount to fall over.

i hope this helps explain what i mean, i am trying to get the mount facing left to right. i removed the front screw but the rear moves a tad and locks.

P1040964.JPG.465eb435d41479725922115b4b0dd2f9.JPG

3 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

You can also try lowering the leg(s) facing the direction you need, or elevating the one(s) in the rear, to tilt the entire mount and tripod. Make sure to remove the counterweight first so as not to cause the mount to fall over.

yes everything was taken off and i did try doing what you suggest but felt it was a bit unsafe lol didnt want it tipping over on me. i even tried putting the mount on the table but too much movement....thank you for your help :)

Sorry to hear of your continuing problem trying to align the optical axis. I really have shared your pain.

The guide that comes with the CG-5 polar scope is written for the manual mount (not the Go-To mount) which can be adjusted easily to a zero elevation to perform the necessary alignment during the daytime with a far away object. Few of us live close to the Eiffel tower to achieve this at higher elevations. The problem arises with the Go-to mount as the interference between the front DEC bolt and mount casing prevents the lowering of the DEC axis low enough. I got it to around 38 degrees which wasn't enough for my purposes. I never found the method of adjusting one leg shorter worked for me. I also tried focusing on aerials etc but they too didn't work for me. Exasperating was not the word I would use. Your experience may differ and i wish you well.

I have not tried the removal of one of the DEC opposing bolts to get a lower elevation but in hindsight would have tried that in the daytime had I known about it at the time, in the end I plumped for aligning at night using a bright star and a very cold 40 minutes later had cracked it. What a relief and achievement. Now be very careful if you find you have to adjust the three small screws as you can easily lose them either falling inside or outside the polar scope. :angryfire: The tiniest of a fraction of a turn is all that is required each time and working out what to loosen and what to fasten is such a trial in itself. 

I take it you have the instructions-https://s3.amazonaws.com/celestron-site-support-files/support_files/1223669429_polaraxixfinder.pdf I think that steps 5 and 6 are in retrospect a complete hoot and an under play of an awkward procedure.

Don't give up, get determined.

Best Regards,
Steve

13 hours ago, Vince 2018 said:

i hope this helps explain what i mean, i am trying to get the mount facing left to right. i removed the front screw but the rear moves a tad and locks.

P1040964.JPG.465eb435d41479725922115b4b0dd2f9.JPG

Your mount is an upgraded version of a CG5, which I have. Both screws will limit movement in each direction. Since you have the front screw out, try pointing the mount higher and see if it may have been binding the rear screw, then see if the rear screw will back out. There should be nothing to lock that screw and prevent it from being removed

On 2/18/2018 at 02:59, Luna-tic said:

Your mount is an upgraded version of a CG5, which I have. Both screws will limit movement in each direction. Since you have the front screw out, try pointing the mount higher and see if it may have been binding the rear screw, then see if the rear screw will back out. There should be nothing to lock that screw and prevent it from being removed

Thank You, tried that since you said it but didnt work but i did manage to polar align before the clouds come over and ruined my efforts lol...onward and upward, i will try again on the next clear night.

I wonder if the tip of that screw has been peened over from many times being tightened too much, and the threads are damaged so it won't unscrew from the housing.