Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from another Newbie

mikeyt71

Hi

Not sure where to start with my first post but was hoping for some help as I am looking at getting back into astronomy after around 4-5 years.

A little background info to my previous attempts / great nights enjoying the wonderful night sky. I used to own a Skywatcher NEQ6 and an Explorer 250PDS (WAY BEYOND MY CAPABILITIES AND DIDN'T GAIN MUCH EXPERIENCE), I had some good nights viewing DSO's and managed to take some ok-ish pics of the moon with my DSLR attached to the scope. However unfortunately I had to sell the kit at the time due to life circumstances.

I am now looking at making a new purchase and I'm struggling with deciding on a new scope, I like to look of the new the new EQ6-R mount as this should last me for many years but not sure I am ready to have such a large scope to begin with. I live in a relatively light polluted town and will be setting up in the back garden any help would be greatly appreciated as I have previously been spoiled with great views from the 250PDS.

I have been advised from my local supplier to look at the Altair Starwave 102ED 2017 Doublet, are these any good for both viewing and photography (Yes the mount would be a massive overkill) as I think I may like to try to get in to taking some pic's after some time, maybe later this year once I have had chance to gather some photography gear maybe. DSLR again!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated 

Oh and sorry for long post :-)

Mike

Welcome Mike... The 102ED seems like a good portable scope... but personally I would recommend a 8" SCT... it is also portable but it has almost 4X the light gathering power... and I had some great views of both DSO and planets, moon and solar (THROUGH THE SOLAR FILM) through the 8" SCT.

Hi MarsG76

Thanks for the info, I have been looking at a couple of the SCT's too, again at my local shop. I was pointed towards the Celestron EDGE HD's and have read that these are great but are very pricey and beyond my budget at the moment. I think the people at the shop are pointing me towards some pricey options and think that I have some pretty deep pockets LOL. These scopes would be of interest but I'm not familiar with any other brands regarding quality SCT's. The only ones that seem to get mentioned are the Celestron brand. Do you have any suggestions regarding lowered priced options for SCT's that are worth a look at?

As per your info, these seem pretty seem pretty versatile. 

I do like the fact as you say these being a portable option too.

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard..

As you previously owned an EQ6 and a fairly large OTA you will be aware of the issues around portability and setting up. Of course plenty of people do use this kit very effectively in a non permanent setup and that's the way I used it for several years before I finally got fed up lugging the stuff backwards and forwards between the house and garden and decided on building obsy in the garden. So think along the lines, that the easier the equipment is to setup on a nightly basis the more likely you are to use it. I got to the stage where the thought of all the setting up started to make me think..."I can't be bothered tonight"....but maybe I'm just a whimp! ....worth thinking on though..

Steve

Hi, Mike, and welcome to SGL.

My 2p (for what it's worth):

If you want to get into imaging, money spent on the mount (even if it appears overkill for now) will pay dividends in the future.

An SCT is a nice instrument - I have an 8" and it is great for "visual", but I rarely use it to image anything except solar system objects. f/10 is VERY slow. Compared to an f/5 refractor you will need 4x the exposure length to get similar subs. You may well find yourself with two scopes, one for visual and one for imaging!

Hi All

Thanks for the warm welcome and great info. 

Steve I'm totally with you as per issues regarding size and setting up but hope that looking at smaller scopes even though the mount is a bit hefty will help with keeping me motivated to setup as I will be setting up the scope as and when we have those rare clear skies :-)

I think going with an SCT for visual would be a great Idea, thank you! might look at what is available as cheaper option to the  Celestron HD to save a few pennies for my initial setup and still get the option to attempt some PIC's of Planetary targets. I know I have a huge and steep learning curve ahead before getting in to Astrophotography but do love the idea.

Archived