SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HELP! ASI120MC

Spacedonkey1976

Looking for help please. I am a complete newbie to the field, have a great Skywatcher 200p on AQ5 mount and have started to learn the very basics.

Purchased a second hand ZWO ASI120MC that I assumed would just plug and play so I could start taking photos by simply attaching the camera to the eyepiece and linking that to my MAC Book.

I already hear the experienced people laughing at my ignorance and naivety!!

The computer doesn't register the camera at all, ive tried to download software from Astrolive but the mac book wouldnt open that either. Latest operating system updates from Apple all installed ( i hate apple by the way but my windows laptop is dead and this is my wifes computer)

Anyone have any quick fixes/solutions with this problem please?

I am not a computer programmer or laptop expert so please keep the answers simple just like me lol! I understand downloading programs to run the camera and clicking install only. My only rational solution at the moment is the expensive option of buying a windows based laptop that i can understand way easier than this crapbook...sorry macbook.

Can you elaborate on "wouldn't open"?  I'm wondering if you have successfully installed the software, its a bit different on a mac than on windows.  When you open the DMG file you downloaded, it will create an installation file on your desktop which you then need to run.

Ive just downloaded an older version of aoCapture that actually opened after install. I tried to install the newest version and the computer wouldnt let me do anything with it at all. Now i can see the main menu for the older version, selected the ASI camera option but i cant see the preview/camera view at all. its a USB2 connection i think...god i used to be a bit of geek on the old windows systems as a kid, seems now im 42 that i'm nearly in the bracket of just about able to turn a computer on!

The ZWO website says "Our USB2.0 camera is not compatible very well with Mac OSX & Linux" so sounds like you might be out of luck.  It is possible to have both Windows and OSX on post 2012 macbooks if you want to go down that route? I do this for my astro imaging needs.

If you're really teed off with the Mac the Bootcamp thingy works really well, I've got it installed on one of my Macs running stuff that only works in Windows.

You have to buy a puka copy of Windows and install it on the Bootcamp partition, I bought Win7 pro off EBay for £30.00.

Dave

Cheers Scitmon, i think the more i look into this the more i am consigning myself to the new windows based laptop route, could do without forking out £300 plus for a new one right now as the scope and camera have set me back 550 already. Seems I should of done my research before buying the astro cam that now sits as a paperweight on my table with no use!

9 hours ago, Spacedonkey1976 said:

Thanks for the help Dave but partitioning and getting windows onto a MACBook Pro sounds like trying to get my Grandma to understand how to send a text message (yes im aware im not far out of that bracket in present company lol!)

It's really pretty easy, if even I could do it :grin:

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all, new laptop purchased, Drivers installed and camera currently running on ASICAP so it can see my ugly mug. Now I just need a clear night which we haven't had here since I got the camera!!

Now it works I can go about trying how to figure out how to mount it to the viewfinder with the correct magnification and see the sky clearly!!

Archived