Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

The Leo Triplet - a target that I needed to image again as previous efforts haven't really done it justice. This is the most successful attempt so far, largely thanks to the ZWO ASI1600MC Pro camera and by giving it plenty of exposure with not too much gain making for a smoother background and bringing out dust lanes and other details in the galaxies.  

014 x 090 second exposures at 161 Gain cooled to -20°C
081 x 090 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C
010 x 120 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C
016 x 180 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C

Total integration time = three hours, 30 minutes and 30 seconds
149 x dark frames
116 x flat frames
200 x bias/offset frames

Captured with APT
Guided with PHD2
Processed in Nebulosity, Fitsworks, and Photoshop 

Equipment
Telescope:     Sky-Watcher Explorer-150PDS
Mount:         Skywatcher EQ5
Guide Scope:     Orion 50mm Mini
Guiding Camera:     ZWO ASI120MC
Imaging Cameera: ZWO ASI1600MC Pro
Baader Mark-III MPCC Coma Corrector
Light pollution filter

process 07.jpg

• Like 9

Nice one Davide. 

I'm so happy to see that your new camera is really helping you on your journey :) 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Per_jensen
      This one didnt quite go as planned, i think i might have tried to overcorrect for alot of things during post processing, but i might as well share it with you guys anyways. Then again, perhaps i've just stared too much at it during processing.. Anyways, i hope you like it
      m81 & m82 LRGB
      L 74 frames of 180s = 222 min
      R 41 frames of 180s = 123 min
      G 40 frames of 180s = 120 min
      B 38 frames of 180s = 114 min
      Total int. 9,6 hours
      8" Reflecltor telescope
      ZWO ASI 1600mm camera
      Eq6-R Pro mount
      L  74 frames of 180s = 222 min
      R  41 frames of 180s = 123 min
      G  40 frames of 180s = 120 min
      B  38 frames of 180s = 114 min
      Total int. 9,6 hours

• By floastro
      Hi guys,
      This is the first lights of my ASA 12"N f/3.62 (purchased in 2007) with my Moravian G4-16000 CCD camera using one KAF-16803 chip of 36mm x 36mm (4K x 4K).
      The adjustments, collimation, ASA OK3-Z pression screws, asked a lot of attention.
      For a precise collimation, i use the CATSEYE XL & XLKP kit.
      This is the first 3hrs of exposures taken the last weekend in one night. The second night was too windy unfortunately.

Full Resolution image in 4K x 4K here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/integration_NGC4438_DBE_3HDR_CompositeAplatie2_Spikes2-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

Full Resolution Annotated image here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/NGC4438_new_image_Annotated.jpg

All the information below :

Enjoy !
      Florent ?
    • By Kronos831
      So,after observing in my backyard for a month + (visible targets only in orion taurus auriga and monocerus) , i ve decided to start observing from my front yard.Now ,i see a whole new sky Ursa Major Leo, Virgo and more.A week ago , was the first time i saw a galaxy.To be exact,m81,m82 and m64.I cannot describe what i felt when i took a look throught the eyepiece,i was amazed.Even though they were just faint fuzzies with no detail whatsoever,it was magestic. Then, i tried to observe m51 and m101,with no results.I ve read reports that m51 is a quite bright and obvious galaxy .If so,why cant i see it? Also,can anybody give me advice as to what to observe in and near ursa major?I ve made my own star charts for M81 M82 and M64 and now need more to further advance my Views of the messier objects.Thanks
      Kronos
    • By tasheeya
      Leo Triplet (M65, M66, and NGC 3628), The Leo Triplet is a small group of galaxies about 35 million light-years away in the constellation Leo.
      large version at astrobin
      https://www.astrobin.com/391520/

Date: 4th January and 2nd February 2019
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
      Telescope: Orion 10" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph
      Camera: Nikon D5300 self modded full spectrum
      Total exposure: ~3 hours
      Subs : 300sx36, Flats, Bias, Darks
      ISO: 400
      Guide Scope: Orion 50mm
      Guide Cam: ASI120MM
      Filter: Optolong UV/IR cut
      Corrector: Baader MPCC Mark III Coma Corrector
      Capturing: digiCamControl
      Guiding: PHD2
      Stacking: Deep Sky Stacker
      Processing: Pixinsight/Photoshop

thank you and clear skies.

• By Mezz
      Hi,
      I am going to buy my first telescope and I can't make up my mind with the focal ratio. I have seen this two option within my budget
      Skywatcher 130/1000 eq2 with a f/7.7 ratio
      Meade 130 Polaris EQ with 650 mm focal length and f/5 ratio.
      I read that a f/7.7 would be better to watch planets while f/5 would be better to watch galaxies and nebulae and will also give a brighter image.

As I am new and never looked through a telescope like those I don't know which to choose. The idea of looking at galaxies really excited me but I also wanted to see planets such as Jupiter or Saturn and it's moons, and at the moment I am not considering photography as I still need to get familiar with the telescope but in the future I would love to take some photos so brightness could be important.
      My question is how much difference would I noticed between these two focal ratio when I looked at planets and galaxies. Would I get a much better view of Saturn with a f/7.7 or not really?
      Thanks in advance for your advices

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.