Narrowband

Galaxy hunting with a ghost

Littleguy80

With an excellent forecast for last night, I was very pleased when one of the key holders at Seething posted to say he'd be opening the site that evening. Arriving just after 8pm and enjoying being able to see sights such as the double cluster naked eye, I quickly set up and the hunt began. I started with a nice easy target, M31, which was also a naked eye object. Through the scope, I easily picked up M32 and the shadowy M110. I went for NGC 891 next and failed. Not sure if it was just fainter than I was expecting or I hadn't simply hadn't hit my stride spotting the fuzzies. Moved up to M34, lovely cluster, and found without issue. Feeling a bit more reassured, I headed over to M33. Faintly seen with direct vision and coming alive with averted vision. 

I popped the UHC filter on and headed over to M42. Glowing nebulosity filled the eyepiece. I wanted to get closer on the Trapezium but took a quick trip to Rigel first. Rigel was split comfortably to see the faint companion at 150x. The Trapezium once again got the better of me, with no E or F star to be seen. I'm not sure if I'm just losing them within the nebula. Not letting that put me off the challenging targets, I moved onto a phantom...M74. This isn't called the phantom galaxy for nothing. It was low in the sky and I spent the better part of 15 minutes searching and occasionally picking out a shadow in the right area. The placing of the shadow was consistent each time I found it and tied in with M74's location in SkySafari. I wrote 'maybe' next to it on my observing list.

Onto Ursa Major and M51. This was a proper wow moment. Both of the galaxies were clear as day. Without doubt, the best view of M51 I've had and gave me a real buzz. M101 followed, much fainter and needing averted vision for a clear view. A revisit to a couple of galaxies that I saw earlier in the week from home, M94 and the Coocoon galaxy. I'm particularly enamored with M94, such a bright galaxy. M106 was the last galaxy I saw in Ursa Major.

Time for a break from galaxies with NGC 3242, the Ghost of Jupiter. This planetary nebula is really bright and clearly non stellar even at low power. I'm not sure where the name comes from, though the size and shape is probably quite close to Jupiter. Sadly Jupiter wasn't up at the time for a direct comparison. I had a look with the UHC filter but didn't see any significant gains in detail or extent. Great target. Starting to feel the chill I headed into the clubhouse for some tea, chocolate and a warm up. The club is lit with red lights which is a really nice feature. No worries about losing dark adaption.

The Leo triplet came next. All 3 galaxies fitting nicely into the eyepiece with direct vision. Moving along, I picked up M95 and M96. Sitting below them was M105 and NGC 3384. I spent some time trying to pick up NGC 3389 which should complete a trio with that pair but it was not to be. I moved into the large cluster Melotte 111 just off Leo's tail. I found NGC 4494 on my way to finding NGC 4565, the Needle Galaxy. This was one of my favourites of the evening, stretched thin across the field of view. 

It was nearly time to go home, so I repeated my trip into Virgo from my session earlier in the week. M90, M89, M87 (Virgo A), M84, M86 and the Eyes Galaxies (NGC 4435 and NGC 4438). Great to see them with the increased contrast from the dark skies. The Markarian's Chain is a special sight. I had one more galaxy I wanted to see. I started at the star Diadem and briefly lingered on the glob, M53 before moving down. Just as I was about to give up, I found my target, M64, the black eye galaxy. A really lovely target to finish on. Bright and with a classic galaxy shape. I left at 12:30 am, with nearly 30 galaxies in the bag. Brilliant night!

30 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Have the clouds not been kind to you?

It's been the cloudiest winter since (my) records began (last year). It's too cold here for a long session outside this time of year anyway. It's still nice to do an all too infrequent hour around Orion, but those Virgo galaxies are something amazing. It's even thrilling just reading about it.

A nice report and a good haul, Neil; yes, "Jupiter's Ghost" has got it's name for the similarity in size with the planet.

"Markarian's Chain" is a splendid sight, especially in larger scopes; for me, it's always the starting point, when cruising the Virgo cluster, so I can keep my bearings in this realm of galaxies.

Stephan

11 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

A nice report and a good haul, Neil; yes, "Jupiter's Ghost" has got it's name for the similarity in size with the planet.

"Markarian's Chain" is a splendid sight, especially in larger scopes; for me, it's always the starting point, when cruising the Virgo cluster, so I can keep my bearings in this realm of galaxies.

Stephan

Thanks Stephan. I couldn’t think of another reason for the name for Jupiter’s Ghost. I’m soon to be the owner of a 10” dob and Markarian’s Chain will certainly be one of my first targets with that :) 

12 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Brilliant ! Couldn't believe hoe bright the ghost was ! Looking forward to the night that we sit down and explore the sky, Norfolk Star Party ! 

Nick.

The ghost was ace! Really nice interlude to the galaxies. Norfolk Star Party! Bring it on :headbang:

Wow what a night have try Jupiter's ghost only seen the Leo trio once and M51. 

Only ever seen E and F once in a 6 inch reflector on a really sparkling night not seen them in my 8 inch yet. 

Some great objects there and a great night thanks for the read. 

Neil, another outstanding report!  Always a pleasure to read, thanks for putting the time in!  I FINALLY am forecast to have a break in the clouds for the next 2 nights.  I'll definitely get out for at least one of them.  You mentioned some targets that I am going to add to my list.  Cheers!

8 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

I like this technique.  There are so many flippin' galaxies in that part of the sky that it's easy to have no clue which you are observing!  What a cool piece of space!

8 hours ago, Hayduke27 said:

Neil, another outstanding report!  Always a pleasure to read, thanks for putting the time in!  I FINALLY am forecast to have a break in the clouds for the next 2 nights.  I'll definitely get out for at least one of them.  You mentioned some targets that I am going to add to my list.  Cheers!

Thanks Alex. Glad you enjoyed :) It’s a great feeling when the weather finally turns in your favour. Have an awesome time. Looking forward to your report :) 

Nice report. Sounds like nice dark skies from that site. Well done! :) I did a wee bit of hunting for galaxies last night too, and spotted some of the ones you did. Not seen the ghost of Jupiter yet. I tried last night, but it was too low in the murk to make out I think. Need to try at a more favourable time. 

For those newbies, who want to find the Virgo galaxy cluster with Markarian's Chain , my older post from January 2017, describing a rather simple and reliable way to approach both: (Neil, excuse me for hijacking your thread a little bit!)

To get there: On your star map, e.g. the Pocket Sky Atlas, start from the Lion's tail. Draw a line from Theta Leonis (Chertan) to Beta (Denebola) and follow this line for about 7° (roughly the distance Chertan-Denebola; the field of a small finderscope) to the east (left). You'll arrive at the star 6 Coma Berenices, which forms together with four nearby stars a slightly crooked letter "T", which can easily be spotted with bins and a RACI finder. I call it the "Entry-T". The horizontal part of the "T" is framed by the galaxies M 98 and M 100, the vertical  crooked part has M 99 at it's western side. All three galaxies should be easily visible in your 6". So, at the scope, start from there.

When you've got the orientation, follow the vertical part of the "Entry-T" for about three degrees downward (roughly SE). The two main galaxies of Markarian's Chain,  M 84 and M 86 will, at low power, come together into view; with 8.8 mag ( M 84) and 9.0 mag (M 86) they are the brightest members of the Chain. The other members are located eastward (4435/4438; 4461; 4473; 4477; 4459; M 88).

31.1.2017: I have added the picture of the "Entry-T" below (taken from the Pocket Sky Atlas).

In my opinion, it's the most reliable way to get to the center of the Virgo cluster, because you start from a well known constellation and have with the "Entry-T" a conspicuous landmark.

You'll often return to the spectacular sight of Markarian's Chain!

Have fun, and Clear Skies!

Stephan

DSC_0467.JPG

Edited February 3, 2017 by Nyctimene
Picture added

3 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

For those newbies, who want to find the Virgo galaxy cluster with Markarian's Chain , my older post from January 2017, describing a rather simple and reliable way to approach both: (Neil, excuse me for hijacking your thread a little bit!)

To get there: On your star map, e.g. the Pocket Sky Atlas, start from the Lion's tail. Draw a line from Theta Leonis (Chertan) to Beta (Denebola) and follow this line for about 7° (roughly the distance Chertan-Denebola; the field of a small finderscope) to the east (left). You'll arrive at the star 6 Coma Berenices, which forms together with four nearby stars a slightly crooked letter "T", which can easily be spotted with bins and a RACI finder. I call it the "Entry-T". The horizontal part of the "T" is framed by the galaxies M 98 and M 100, the vertical  crooked part has M 99 at it's western side. All three galaxies should be easily visible in your 6". So, at the scope, start from there.

When you've got the orientation, follow the vertical part of the "Entry-T" for about three degrees downward (roughly SE). The two main galaxies of Markarian's Chain,  M 84 and M 86 will, at low power, come together into view; with 8.8 mag ( M 84) and 9.0 mag (M 86) they are the brightest members of the Chain. The other members are located eastward (4435/4438; 4461; 4473; 4477; 4459; M 88).

31.1.2017: I have added the picture of the "Entry-T" below (taken from the Pocket Sky Atlas).

In my opinion, it's the most reliable way to get to the center of the Virgo cluster, because you start from a well known constellation and have with the "Entry-T" a conspicuous landmark.

You'll often return to the spectacular sight of Markarian's Chain!

Have fun, and Clear Skies!

Stephan

DSC_0467.JPG

Edited February 3, 2017 by Nyctimene
Picture added

Great guide, Stephan. Thanks for sharing :) 

5 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice report. Sounds like nice dark skies from that site. Well done! :) I did a wee bit of hunting for galaxies last night too, and spotted some of the ones you did. Not seen the ghost of Jupiter yet. I tried last night, but it was too low in the murk to make out I think. Need to try at a more favourable time. 

Thanks Gus! The ghost is well worth seeking out. It’s an easy spot if you’ve got decent skies :) 

12 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks Gus! The ghost is well worth seeking out. It’s an easy spot if you’ve got decent skies :) 

So far (against what was forcast) it’s clear outside, so going to have a try for it as soon as it gets a little darker. Fingers crossed! Currently on of the few planetaries that has avoided my gaze as yet. 

Phooey! Just realised it won’t be in a position for me to try to see it till gone 10:30pm tonight, and be due south on the meridian at approx 12:30am! Hope the clear skies last as long as that, although the forcast is sayin to cloud over from 9pm. Grrrrr......oh well, can only keeps those fingers crossed! ;) 

43 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Phooey! Just realised it won’t be in a position for me to try to see it till gone 10:30pm tonight, and be due south on the meridian at approx 12:30am! Hope the clear skies last as long as that, although the forcast is sayin to cloud over from 9pm. Grrrrr......oh well, can only keeps those fingers crossed! ;) 

Fingers crossed, Gus. It’s been beautiful all day. Barely a cloud to be seen. Just arrived home and it’s a total cloud out. I’m not complaining though. Had a couple of great sessions this week. Hope those clouds stay away for you :) 

Archived