Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newting for Doubles

iPeace

The forecast was for an absolutely ideal night - certainly in terms of what's been going on recently - so the setup was out in twilight to be nice and ready. Ever since proper first light with this new TS/GSO 150mm f/6 Newtonian, I've used it exclusively with much enjoyment. Originally a late entry in my Big Lunar Scope competition - to be resumed on the appropriate thread as soon as the Moon is back on show - this scope has quickly ended my undeserved eschewing of this type. Tonight, I would cast my Newt in the hope of catching some nice doubles.

A few more notes on equipment; I use it on a Losmandy AZ8 mount atop a Berlebach Planet tripod. The slow-motion control is great for this type of thing. I stick an Astrozap dew shield on it. Also, I decided it would be a 'zoom-only' session, so the Baader Mark IV and both Nagler Zooms, the 3-6 and the 2-4, would do all the work. A combo of RDF and RACI (DIY dew shields!) would get me where I wanted to be, and then the Baader Zoom would take over, to be replaced with either Nag Zoom as the split required.

DSC_1366.thumb.JPG.b678a7f3470ed0dc9d9d1a51503b9194.JPG

I was set up behind our dwelling, on its Eastern side, so no sky to the West and some other buildings and trees to the South which raise the horizon and limit the views to peeks between branches. We would make it work.

I was using a SkySafari observing list (I run SkySafari on my Android phone) which I compiled using the Astronomical League's Double Star Program. I've previously posted both the SkySafari list and link to the Program's web page. See below:

Here follows, in more or less the order in which I got them, my haul for the night. It's perhaps a bit terse, with apologies, and the EP focal lengths used should not be taken as an indication of the required magnification, just my field notes. All names are as I found them in SkySafari. At least, they're meant to be. :icon_rolleyes:

• Chi Tauri - 24mm - easy; companion looks blueish
  • 118 Tauri - 20mm
  • Theta Arigae - 6mm - companion very faint in the glare
  • Meissa (Lambda Ori) - 6mm - companion looks blueish

I stopped off to visit with NGC 2264, the Christmas Tree Cluster. Particularly enjoyable in the Newtonian orientation.

• Wasat (Delta Gem) - 12mm - companion faint but clear in the glare
  • Castor (Alpha Gem) - 8mm
  • Tegmine (Zeta 1 Cnc) - 3mm - third star very tight
  • Iota Cancri - 20mm
  • 38 Lyncis - 3mm - tough
  • Algieba (Gamma 1 Leo) - 6mm - companion looks greenish to me; very nice!
  • Cor Caroli (Alpha 2 CVn) - 24mm
  • 24 Comae Berenices - 12mm - got lucky in between the branches of the trees

Coffee Break :coffee:

• 54 Leonis - 12mm
  • Izar (Epsilon Boo) - 4mm - can see the blue companion but can't quite split even at 2mm (EDIT: It's been pointed out that this one should be easier - perhaps the wrong star?) (EDIT: nope, it was the right star. Just couldn't make the split happen this time. Possibly because it was low in the sky over town. See later on in this thread.)
  • Delta Bootis - 24mm - obvious
  • Zeta2 Coronae Borealis - 20mm
  • Sigma Coronae Borealis - 20mm - nice

Herc's Great Glob was irresistible at this point - the first time I've used this aperture on a globular cluster. Very inspiring, and indeed promising for when we can get out to a darker location.

• Kuma (Nu2 Dra) - 24mm - obvious
  • Arrakis (Mu Dra) - 4mm - very rewarding
  • 16 Draconis - 4mm - pretty sure I saw its faint companion, but not very interesting...
  • 17 Draconis - 4mm - nice; didn't seem to occur in the observing list in SkySafari, but much more interesting than 16 Draconis
  • Asellus Tertius (Kappa2 Boo) - 24mm - obvious, but nice
  • Asellus Secundus (Iota Boo) - 24mm - also quite obvious, but nice; together with Tertius it's like an easy version of the Double Double

So a very nice, long session which should keep me happy for a while should the clouds return.

I'm sure I'll be keeping a newt in the lineup - perhaps an upgrade to 200mm f/6?

Thanks for reading.

:happy11:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fine session Mike, the Newt does seem to have found favour :) 

Izar is an interesting one, and will certainly split in a smallish frac (TV85 anyone? ;)) so some side by side comparison on these doubles might prove interesting?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 11:47, iPeace said:

The forecast was for an absolutely ideal night - certainly in terms of what's been going on recently - so the setup was out in twilight to be nice and ready. Ever since proper first light with this new TS/GSO 150mm f/6 Newtonian, I've used it exclusively with much enjoyment. Originally a late entry in my Big Lunar Scope competition - to be resumed on the appropriate thread as soon as the Moon is back on show - this scope has quickly ended my undeserved eschewing of this type. Tonight, I would cast my Newt in the hope of catching some nice doubles.

A few more notes on equipment; I use it on a Losmandy AZ8 mount atop a Berlebach Planet tripod. The slow-motion control is great for this type of thing. I stick an Astrozap dew shield on it. Also, I decided it would be a 'zoom-only' session, so the Baader Mark IV and both Nagler Zooms, the 3-6 and the 2-4, would do all the work. A combo of RDF and RACI (DIY dew shields!) would get me where I wanted to be, and then the Baader Zoom would take over, to be replaced with either Nag Zoom as the split required.

DSC_1366.thumb.JPG.b678a7f3470ed0dc9d9d1a51503b9194.JPG

I was set up behind our dwelling, on its Eastern side, so no sky to the West and some other buildings and trees to the South which raise the horizon and limit the views to peeks between branches. We would make it work.

I was using a SkySafari observing list (I run SkySafari on my Android phone) which I compiled using the Astronomical League's Double Star Program. I've previously posted both the SkySafari list and link to the Program's web page. See below:

Here follows, in more or less the order in which I got them, my haul for the night. It's perhaps a bit terse, with apologies, and the EP focal lengths used should not be taken as an indication of the required magnification, just my field notes. All names are as I found them in SkySafari. At least, they're meant to be. :icon_rolleyes:

• Chi Tauri - 24mm - easy; companion looks blueish
  • 118 Tauri - 20mm
  • Theta Arigae - 6mm - companion very faint in the glare
  • Meissa (Lambda Ori) - 6mm - companion looks blueish

I stopped off to visit with NGC 2264, the Christmas Tree Cluster. Particularly enjoyable in the Newtonian orientation.

• Wasat (Delta Gem) - 12mm - companion faint but clear in the glare
  • Castor (Alpha Gem) - 8mm
  • Tegmine (Zeta 1 Cnc) - 3mm - third star very tight
  • Iota Cancri - 20mm
  • 38 Lyncis - 3mm - tough
  • Algieba (Gamma 1 Leo) - 6mm - companion looks greenish to me; very nice!
  • Cor Caroli (Alpha 2 CVn) - 24mm
  • 24 Comae Berenices - 12mm - got lucky in between the branches of the trees

Coffee Break :coffee:

• 54 Leonis - 12mm
  • Izar (Epsilon Boo) - 4mm - can see the blue companion but can't quite split even at 2mm
  • Delta Bootis - 24mm - obvious
  • Zeta2 Coronae Borealis - 20mm
  • Sigma Coronae Borealis - 20mm - nice

Herc's Great Glob was irresistible at this point - the first time I've used this aperture on a globular cluster. Very inspiring, and indeed promising for when we can get out to a darker location.

• Kuma (Nu2 Dra) - 24mm - obvious
  • Arrakis (Mu Dra) - 4mm - very rewarding
  • 16 Draconis - 4mm - pretty sure I saw its faint companion, but not very interesting...
  • 17 Draconis - 4mm - nice; didn't seem to occur in the observing list in SkySafari, but much more interesting than 16 Draconis
  • Asellus Tertius (Kappa2 Boo) - 24mm - obvious, but nice
  • Asellus Secundus (Iota Boo) - 24mm - also quite obvious, but nice; together with Tertius it's like an easy version of the Double Double

So a very nice, long session which should keep me happy for a while should the clouds return.

I'm sure I'll be keeping a newt in the lineup - perhaps an upgrade to 200mm f/6?

Thanks for reading.

Hey, I have the same scope! :icon_biggrin: I use it mainly for planets: last year, one of the last times I saw Jupiter, the seeing was unusually excellent and I saw the Great Red Spot (with a bright red color), rills, festoons on the belts and a white cyclone with spiral arms next to the GRS. It was unforgettable!

Fantastic! A nice list there for starters....were there any close pairs or close/unequal to test the system (scope + observer)? With doubles, it's a case of.... Alles komt op zijn tijd!

Chris

PS I assume the past participle of "newting" is "newted"?

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

were there any close pairs or close/unequal to test the system (scope + observer)

I would perhaps have expected Izar to split cleanly at that power (x225)

3 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

PS I assume the past participle of "newting" is "newted"?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you assume the title was meant as "Newted for Doubles"? It wasn't.

The title could also have been "Fishing for Doubles" or "Trawling for Doubles" or "Looking for Doubles". It's a description of what I set out to do: "I went Newting for Doubles".

But perhaps you mean something else - in which case, it's not clear to me what.

12 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you assume the title was meant as "Newted for Doubles"? It wasn't.

The title could also have been "Fishing for Doubles" or "Trawling for Doubles" or "Looking for Doubles". It's a description of what I set out to do: "I went Newting for Doubles".

But perhaps you mean something else - in which case, it's not clear to me what.

I just rather liked the verb.......

Chris

14 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

I just rather liked the verb.......

Chris

Ah, very good! I supposed a suggested correction instead of academic discussion, my mistake.

Indeed, 'newted', as in a bear-shaped addition to one's collection of cuddly toys.

:smile:

2 hours ago, Stu said:

would perhaps have expected Izar to split cleanly at that power (x225)

2 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

yes, I wouldn't have expected Izar to be too much of a challenge (sep 2.8 arcsec, delta M 2.2

Perhaps I was looking at a different star - convinced as I was. Will try again in future sessions.

53 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Perhaps I was looking at a different star - convinced as I was. Will try again in future sessions.

Your description sounds correct Mike so I suspect you were on the right one.

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

Your description sounds correct Mike so I suspect you were on the right one.

Yes, sounds right - my favourite double in fact - I normally see it as golden and electric blue, even prettier than Albireo IMO.

Chris

1 hour ago, avtaram said:

I eventualy managed to split Izar after a false start looking at the wrong star, I think it was Stu who pointed out my error.

image.jpeg.774c94c5876af235087071e1d24b490b.jpeg

Avtar

Nice sketch Avtar. I've managed this in a 60mm frac but not easy. It tended to sit on the first diffraction ring making it more tricky.

I had a similar view to your sketch in the Tak/binoviewers the other night at high power. Nice clean split.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice sketch Avtar. I've managed this in a 60mm frac but not easy. It tended to sit on the first diffraction ring making it more tricky.

I had a similar view to your sketch in the Tak/binoviewers the other night at high power. Nice clean split.

Thanks Stu, I'm looking forward to useing my FC-100DC on doubles especially Izar.

I've thinned the herd a little recently as I had too many scopes, and bought the Tak with the proceeds. Still in two minds about moving on the 120ed with moonlite focuser, may come to regret it if I do.

Avtar

Archived