Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

MarsG76

Carina up close and personal

Greeting Astrolings, 

I'm currently in the process of imaging "the pencil" Nebula, but seeing that it's not clearing my obsy roof until past midnight, I didn't want to waste half of clear nights (since they're rare) so before continuing on the pencil, I did a random frame up on eta Carina and used a random star that popped up in the OAG FOV.

I ended up doing this over a couple of nights but last night I had a bout of cloud cover for about an hour... and the Nebula drifted.

PHD moved the mount looking for a guide star locking in on some noise and attempting to move it to the guide position. What resulted was, when the clouds passed and a guide star popped up, PHD grabbed it and continued imaging, except that the framing moved 2/3 of the way down... and I ended up with subs for the bottom part of eta Carina.

I had plenty of subs from the previous night of the top part, so I created this mosaic... Talk about a accidental 2 pane mosaic!!! 

Accidently created my first DSO mosaic.

This consists of 24 x 300s (top half) and 18 x 300s (bottom half) ISO400 using the modded 40D at the 8SE native focal length of 2032mm.

Clear skies.

MG

Carina ECU Process1280fr.jpg

• Like 5

Eta Carina Nebula cropped and slightly adjusted so that it's not so pink.

EtaCarina ECU Feb2018.JPG

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By eshy76
      Hi everyone!
      I was lucky enough to spend Easter in Mauritius and managed to get a night of imaging in despite the tropical night time clouds! As someone who lives in the Northern hemisphere, the Carina nebula has always been a target I've coveted, but during my holiday, I also loved Crux as prominent constellation in the Southern sky. So when I ran into polar alignment issues with my Skyguider Pro, I decided to play it safe and go for a wider field, capturing both those targets rather than focusing purely on Carina as was my original goal.
      This was shot from my father in law's rooftop in Bonne Terre, Vacoas, Mauritius and my basic polar alignment meant significant field rotation, but I still got some usable data. Cropped, processed and finally upsampled.
      Data was shot at f/2.8 with a 50mm lens, unguided on an unmodified Sony a6500. 174 lights at 30 secs each = 1.4 hours of integration. Bortle 5.
      From the colours it looks like these objects sit right on the disc of the Milky Way and I know there is more in the picture I haven't mentioned!
      Thanks for looking!

• By MikeODay
      Also known as the Theta Carinae Cluster, The Southen Pleiades is a very bright open cluster in the Carina constellation. It was discovered by Abbe Lacaille during his visit to South Africa in 1752.  Containing around 60 stars, IC 2602 shines with an overall magnitude of 1.9 and its brightest member is Theta Carinae with a visual magnitude of 2.7. This cluster of young blue stars is relatively close to us at "only" 479 light years.
      5 May 2018

The Southern Pleiades open star cluster ( IC 2602 ) in Carina ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      Image details can be found here.
    • By MikeODay
      Also known as the Theta Carinae Cluster, The Southen Pleiades is a very bright open cluster in the Carina constellation. It was discovered by Abbe Lacaille during his visit to South Africa in 1752.  Containing around 60 stars, IC 2602 shines with an overall magnitude of 1.9 and its brightest member is Theta Carinae with a visual magnitude of 2.7. This cluster of young blue stars is relatively close to us at "only" 479 light years.
      5 May 2018

The Southern Pleiades ( IC 2602 ) in Carina ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      Image details:
      Orientation: North is up
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.91um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 5 May 2018 ):
      14 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/30th sec to 240 sec ) all at ISO250.
      ( 22 x 240sec + at least 10 each forthe other durations )
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 14 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight May 2018
    • By MarsG76
      A photo of the Carina Nebula taken using a 8" SCT at F6.3 (1280mm focal length) with a Astro modded Canon 40D, ~59x39 arc-minutes FOV.
      During an imaging session of Eta Carina close up, one sub on 9th March had an extra star on it, only lasted for a few minutes at most and vanished. I suspected either a GRB, CR or perhaps a Shock Breakout.
      In between the meridian flip of imaging another object, I slewed the scope toward the Carina Nebula to see if the point of light reappeared... if it was a SB than perhaps there was a chance that a supernova would have happened, but no such luck.
      The Carina Nebula (NGC 3372) also known as the Grand Nebula, Great Nebula in Carina, or Eta Carinae Nebula, is a large complex area of bright and dark nebulosity in the constellation Carina. The nebula lies at an estimated distance between 6,500 and 10,000 light-years from Earth.
      Total exposure time was 1 hour 57 min 30 seconds. Subs captured are 15x30s, 10x60s, 14x150s, 13x300s at ISO800 on 27th March 2018.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.