SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Raising my DIY game with this machine

Vox45

As a newcomer in the 3D Printing world I wanted to get a machine that would be easy to handle, not too pricy and small enough to fit next to my computer.

I did some research and stumble upon a small 3D printer that can also do laser engraving and CNC (wood/plastic) carving. It was on kickstarter and I contributed in july 2017. I just got it 2 weeks ago and I wanted to share my thoughts.

1. while the machine has a small printing area, the quality of the print is very good!

2. laser is weak but it is a good way to learn about working with laser

3. CNC will be tested later but from what I see in forums and FB, people make very nice wood carving with it.

There are pros and cons but for the price I got this machine on kickstarter (500€/w shipping and custom) I am pretty happy with it. It is rock solid, all metal parts, super easy to assemble, some minog glitches that are being sorted out by a proactive and dedicated support team. I would recommend this machine for education, newbies like me who want to dable in the world of 'slicers' and 3D stuff.

The end goal is to produce a casing for a DIY stepper motor focuser. I also got an arduino kit to go along ;)

So behold, the Snapmaker 3D (I am in no way affiliated with this company and this is a personal opinion, I am not being paid to promote this or receive anything from Snapmaker)

IMG_7604.thumb.JPG.41faab7e4d6cab47ae9799a11356ec33.JPG

IMG_7614.thumb.JPG.7642cc2736d1ee4e29a19e3bb7de11f4.JPGIMG_7615.thumb.JPG.db960131519343e0a0fc2e84e5a1da13.JPGIMG_7616.thumb.JPG.9e5866c1690eab38c5d78f058add4c25.JPGIMG_7618.thumb.JPG.5f6d8fb1483a4660a6f319e7758a7b16.JPGIMG_7619.thumb.JPG.68bde8cf93b996db2f08f91d1037dfac.JPG

47 minutes ago, GuLinux said:

That's very compact! And it seems to be very versatile...

Let us know, I'll probably think about it myself.. :)

It is very compact and most of all, very well built with minimal plastic pieces (all anodized aluminium)

Here are the full specs:

3D PRINTING
Heated Bed     Up to 80°
Layer Resolution     50~300 microns
Build Volume     125 x 125 x 125mm(4.9" x 4.9" x 4.9")
Supported Materials     Non-proprietary 1.75mm PLA, ABS, etc.

LASER ENGRAVING
Work Area     125 x 125 mm
Laser Power     200mW
Supported File Types     SVG, JPEG, PNG, etc.
Supported Materials     Wood, bamboo, leather, plastic, fabric, paper, non-transparent acrylic, and so on.

CNC CARVING
Work Area     90 x 90 x 50 mm
Shank Diameter     3.175mm
Supported File Types*     SVG, STEP, IGES, IGS, DWG, DXF, etc.
Supported Materials     Wood, acrylic, PCB, carbon fiber sheet, etc.
*Users can work with these supported files with the help of third party software such as Autodesk Fusion 360.

So, as I said, you can probably find a better 3D printer and a better CNC machine but as a combo laser/cnc/3Dprinter I am happy with the product. Eventually as I outgrow it, I'll buy dedicated machine for each tasks. A stronger 2w laser would be nice to etch circuit boards and a CNC to be able to work with metal would be nice :)

On 17/02/2018 at 21:54, sloz1664 said:

That looks and moves like a quality piece of kit. For the price you paid it looks a real bargain.

Steve

Yes, I think it is quite good for an entry level printer that can be used to learn these 3 different technics (laser/CNC/3D printing) I would highly recommend this printer in schools or at an astro club. As for me, a noobie in the world of 3D printing, I am having a blast :) money well spent.

Now, on to my project of building a stepper motor focuser using arduino and a 3D printed case !

8 hours ago, Gina said:

Nothing stopping you now :D  You can use that printer to print parts for a bigger 3D printer :D

lol yes ! My first build is a filament holder for the 3D printer .... Robots building Robots ! we are doomed!

Now I have to build that arduino focuser, it will be base on your project Gina :) Thank god there are people like you to do all the heavy lifting ;)

Archived