Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Video astronomy & digiscoping.

As an alternative to direct vision observing (not imaging), what equipment would bethe minimum for video astronomy i.e. using an ep image to a camera, or just the scope as a telephoto lens.

The screen of an interchangeable lens camera would be a monitor say. 

Would objects appear as the eye would see their colours? I am not sure about the feasability of tracking, processing, time lapse and smoothness would work. Which is why I'm asking.....

If I understand correctly, you are looking for simple equipment just to get an image on a screen: I would use a DSLR plugged into the focusser (T-ring+nosepiece, no eyepiece) and take a short exposure. This is effectively just using your scope as a telephoto lens. I have used this method with group presentations for the cubs. Even a short exposure of 5-10s will show more than you could see at the eyepiece (including more colour). Of course, you are only seeing objects at the moment the exposure was taken, rather than a proper video camera which would constantly update and you would need to adjust your exposure to the object you wanted to observe.

HTH

Might be better to post in the video astronomy forum.

Something like a Samsung SCB2000 (with the filter removed for better response), about £50 used, would be a good start, simple composite video feed out to an LCD display or TV, or to a frame grabber on a laptop. You can get colour views of deep sky objects this way by taking frame integrations up to 10 seconds or more. You can also stack these to get better images but this is not live view.

As said, probably much more advice on the VA forum. What's your budget?

Archived