Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fitting Losmandy D system saddles to a Skytee2 possible?

I like the width & sturdiness of Losmandy saddles & dovetail bars. They seem, especially for wide &/or heavier OTAs, better suited with a wider platform and more metal locking on more metal. So was considering one for my Skytee 2 & other mounts to replace the Vixen/SW, which look wimpier by comparison.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4432_Starway-Losmandy-3--dovetail-rail--254mm-length.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10191_TS-Optics-Optics-Losmandy-Level-dovetail-clamp---Length-250-mm.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8517_TS-Optics-Losmandy-level-dovetail-barl-w--flat-surfaces--356-mm-long.html

Has anyone switched to Losmandy from Vixen/Celestron/SW on a Skytee or any other mount? I would be grateful for your advice :)

I am not sure that the limiting factor of the Vixen vs. Losmandy style is the dovetail itself. You should consider where the potentially weakest link is in the mount. For me it was the single clamping point on the saddle itself so I switched up to from a 3" saddle plate to a 7" that has 2 independent clamping jaws. I was not comfortable having my scope come crashing to the ground with the inadvertent turn of a single knob in the dark. This is especially true if you observe at public star parties - I have seen (and thankfully stopped) hands groping for any knob to turn trying to find the focus knob on many occasions during public events.

As long as you have a good quality saddle plate I would guess the Vixen dovetail should be OK for up 20-25 pounds of equipment. You do have me curious now and I'll see if I can find and post the actual rated specs for each type.

My Tak has 2 clamps to hold it - its a DL - so they add weight + ota, diagonal 2 inch and eps, and 80mm finder scope.

The Equinoxes are heftier and need support etc. I have twin knob ADM clamps but their narrowness makes me nervous. I have seen longer Losmandy clamps with 3 locking knobs. Not on a Skytee2 too though.

I totally understand your concern (and share it). For my TeleVue NP127is and Lunt 100Ha which are both heavy scopes I use the larger Losmandy dovetail and dual clamp saddle plate. It would be a very bad day indeed if either of those hit the deck because of a weak point in the mount. I still think the Vixen style would technically be fine however I'm not willing to test that on my gear. :-)

Archived