SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark site trip?

Timebandit

Well as the Sky's were reasonably clear and no moon then a dark site trip was in order.

The OOuk vx8 my new to me grab and go was put in the boot of the car and the AZ4 also. Nice and light and easy 2min job. A few eyepiece were chosen, 20mm TV , 13mm LVW and the 7mm Pentax XW. From decision to go to getting underway around 5min. So extremely quick and far less stressful in loading compared to the 14" Dob.

I had decided to try a local nature type reserve /woodland which consisted of a large amount of land away from the main town and roads  . I had never tried this at night but worth a shot.

When I arrived the car park was empty and the location I had all to myself. Therefore the car was left in the middle of the parking area and the scope and AZ set up. Within 2min the AZ was up and the newt 8" mounted, easy. Unfortunately the William optics finder sticky pads had come unstuck in the car ,so some remount work needed.

The Sky's were still clear of cloud and the stars out, the Sky's were not as dark as I had hoped for. Certainly darker than my home light polluted area , but certainly not the ink black sky's to which I was hopeful for.

The first job was to align the finder. So as Orion was in its full glory, then the low mag eyepiece was placed in and Betelgeuse was located, and the finder adjusted.

While at Orion went down to the multiple star system sigma orionis.

Then down to an old favourite M42 M43. This nebulas certainly was more vibrant under these darker Sky , showing a tint of green. The Trapezium was very pronounced 

I then went across to the big W , Cassiopeia. Just a constellation that is full of delight. NGC, 559, 663, 457,225, 129, 7789, m52. These clusters are always a pleasure to look at and I never tire of the structure of the Cassiopeia star clusters.

Then to the open cluster M45 , just a rich and vibrant site and great in a low power,wide angle eyepiece.

I was then unfortunately interrupted by some very bright lights entering the car park, I first thought it was a local police patrol by the slow way it approached, but no . After a bit of a conversation it was the local boy racer's night out. Give the lads their due they did shut off the headlights and park in the far corner. But with the likes of 50cents a bit of M and M  and cans of beer being opened and seemingly the smoking smell of some strong type of baky ?  then it was not exactly the relaxing atmosphere I was looking for. I stayed another 20mins. Said my goodbyes to the local lads night out and started to pack up. Again so quick and easy this grab and go set up. In the boot in 2mins

Well overall the trip had some positives . The purpose of getting the smaller VX8 was to make getting out to dark site trips quicker and easier, without the drag of trying to get a big Dob out. So the VX8 is great for a grab and go. So certainly worth the purchase. The Dark site, well it was not as dark as I had hoped and wished. Those ink black sky's were just not there and obviously this is a disappointment. So I will have to cast my net out to a different location or further afield. But certainly worth a try.

Nice report Simon and I take my  my hat off to you for making an effort ? when the weather warms up a bit I will go to our dark site but it’s cold in the summer at night let alone this time of year ❄️

23 hours ago, Timebandit said:

I was then unfortunately interrupted by some very bright lights entering the car park, I first thought it was a local police patrol by the slow way it approached, but no . After a bit of a conversation it was the local boy racer's night out. Give the lads their due they did shut off the headlights and park in the far corner. But with the likes of 50cents a bit of M and M  and cans of beer being opened and seemingly the smoking smell of some strong type of baky ?  then it was not exactly the relaxing atmosphere I was looking for. I stayed another 20mins. Said my goodbyes to the local lads night out and started to pack up

Thats  just taken me back  a few Years to 79' possibly 1980?

I'd pitched up at the New Forest, settled down for the night, shiny new Honda sat outside!

A little later the roar of  triumph motor bikes, with their Hell's Angel riders pitched up, siting their tents  around my tent.......gulp!     
Needless to say, for some reason, I didn't have much sleep that night, but they were happy to diss the 'Jap crap' I was riding, and tried to show me what a 'real' bike was all about ?

Funny old game! to see them a few miles along the road the next day, fixing their broken down, 'real' bike............I laughed for miles He he! and just thankful  they didn't trash my bike.

Good dark(ish) sky taster, with your new grab and go system, engaging variety of objects observed. The convenience and ease of your set-up will as you state certainly be more manageable in terms of time than the larger dob, gaining more incentive to trial good dark sky locations striking within reasonable distance to home.

Quite understand concerning country parks, they can become unpleasant places at night unfortunately. I use to venture to one, that was pretty dark and when it was good it was very good, no people, only roe deer or foxes, yet at other times the cars would arrive and it was annoying at best intimidating to. They are simply best avoided, perhaps sometimes if you go other than a weekend and especially not during a bank holiday they might be OK. Also understand how a place may not in reality turn out to be quite as dark as you had anticipated. All down to trial and error, but taking that scope to a dark sky location, besides from being a breeze to load, will deliver some unforgettable observations when you do settle on somewhere more suitable.   

I admire your effort to get out to a dark sky site. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are driving aimlessly around remote areas at night. Before getting my telescope that sort of thing wasn't on my to do list of interesting and fun nights out. In the middle of winter as well. Oh well, takes all sorts to make a world I suppose.

Don't gave up on rural Herefordshire. It's one of the darkest counties in England. In addition to that, don't judge on one night alone...I was at a favourite dark spot a couple of months ago and last night (zzzzzz....never do it on a work night!! :D ) and discovered that the skiy quality can very an awful lot! :)

20 hours ago, domstar said:

Very interesting. How does the az4 handle the 8inch Newt?

Hello. I am surprised how well the AZ4 does handles the newt. When I was originally thinking of the 8" I was considering if I was going to need another mount, more cost?

But weight wise as long as the newt is balanced (to which I have a little liquid paper to mark the point) then it handles very nicely. I am have only used it a few times at present, but the AZ4 seems more than up to the job with this OOuk8" newt.

20 hours ago, Pig said:

Nice report Simon and I take my  my hat off to you form making an effort ? when the weather warms up a bit I will go to our dark site but it’s cold in the summer at night let alone this time of year ❄️

Thanks Shaun. Even though I love the 14" it is a handful if you have a few hours spare in the evening, and want to disappear to a dark site on the spur of the moment. The 8" newt and az4 is just no effort or time to get in the car and go. 

Yes I was very brave going out in the cold☺.  But even though it was cold ,it was not sub zero ,so well worth the effort. Not as dark as I would of liked, but the ink dark site of the Dob Mob home land is what I was comparing it to. I will have a rethink and try a bit further out and or maybe a slight difference direction next time.

19 hours ago, Charic said:

Thats  just taken me back  a few Years to 79' possibly 1980?

I'd pitched up at the New Forest, settled down for the night, shiny new Honda sat outside!

A little later the roar of  triumph motor bikes, with their Hell's Angel riders pitched up  their tents  around my tent.......gulp!     
Needless to say, for some reason, I didn't have much sleep that night, but they were happy to diss the 'Jap crap' I was riding, and tried to show me what a 'real' bike was all about ?

Funny old game! to see them a few miles along the road the next day, fixing their broken down, 'real' bike............I laughed for miles He he! and just thankful  they didn't trash my bike.

Yes. You do meet some different characters when out and about.  I suppose it takes all different types to make it an interesting world. But when you go to the middle on nowhere  for a bit of piece and quiet,  then you don't expect a mobile party to arrive?

19 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Good dark(ish) sky taster, with your new grab and go system, engaging variety of objects observed. The convenience and ease of your set-up will as you state certainly be more manageable in terms of time than the larger dob, gaining more incentive to trial good dark sky locations striking within reasonable distance to home.

Quite understand concerning country parks, they can become unpleasant places at night unfortunately. I use to venture to one, that was pretty dark and when it was good it was very good, no people, only roe deer or foxes, yet at other times the cars would arrive and it was annoying at best intimidating to. They are simply best avoided, perhaps sometimes if you go other than a weekend and especially not during a bank holiday they might be OK. Also understand how a place may not in reality turn out to be quite as dark as you had anticipated. All down to trial and error, but taking that scope to a dark sky location, besides from being a breeze to load, will deliver some unforgettable observations when you do settle on somewhere more suitable.   

Yes . I went on a week night as I thought I would basically have the place to myself, except the wild life running around in the dark.    

It is trial and error, you are certainly correct there. And it is only by going out and trying some of these places that you learn what the Sky's are going to produce. But as a kit tester alone it was certainly worth the effort. As the 8" just is no effort to grab and go. So gives me so much more incentive to go again. So little effort in comparison to the big dob.

19 hours ago, David Levi said:

I admire your effort to get out to a dark sky site. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are driving aimlessly around remote areas at night. Before getting my telescope that sort of thing wasn't on my to do list of interesting and fun nights out. In the middle of winter as well. Oh well, takes all sorts to make a world I suppose.

Yes . You live and learn. This has not put me off going out. In fact due to the ease of the 8" and Az4 set up to take out . It has encouraged me more . So even though I am not taking the big 14" aperture with me.  A 8" newt  at a true dark site will certainly be a worthwhile exercise , as it still has a lot to offer.

18 hours ago, Beulah said:

Don't gave up on rural Herefordshire. It's one of the darkest counties in England. In addition to that, don't judge on one night alone...I was at a favourite dark spot a couple of months ago and last night (zzzzzz....never do it on a work night!! :D ) and discovered that the skiy quality can very an awful lot! :)

I am certainly not going to give up ?

That did cross my mind if it was just that particular night and those particular Sky conditions on that night. So I may try that spot again. But there are a few other sites around that I may also give a go. I am looking for a dark site that is quiet ,with ink dark sky's that is only a short drive away( I think most of us are looking for that) . I think the trouble is I was comparing it to the trip into Wales to the dob mob favourites. And that is ink black dark, but not a short drive away unfortunately. But I do have a few other areas to try also.  So I am sure I will find a site that is a reasonable drive , but with dark sky's ☺

I'm off to try a dark(ish) site tonight. My wife's cousin lives on a farm which is about 25mins away and well away from street lights etc.  I have been talking to her about leaving my Dob there in one of their sheds. My only concern from a daytime visit is that they have security lights all over the place and I'm not sure that I can find a suitable spot for the scope. I will find out later....

2 hours ago, Timebandit said:

I think the trouble is I was comparing it to the trip into Wales to the dob mob favourites. And that is ink black dark, but not a short drive away unfortunately.

Hahaha, that's fatal, making that comparison...  :D My mistake was doing just that...and of course, I ended up moving house as my front garden was never the same again...  :D

But trust me, the skies can vary a helluva lot even in Wales. Couple of nights ago, the skies were inky black but the roads were icy and I nearly came off the road so didn't stay out long (Working the next day :( ). Stars so bright and felt so close you could touch them. Perceived colour in M42 even in an 8" dob.

Have got a 16" but I rebuilt it and am at the fettling stage...

On other nights, the skies can take on a frustrating, unfocused look to them - almost a static effect all over the sky like an untuned television, due to high amounts of particles/moisture in the sky. Really is pot luck, especially combined with a high amount of rainfall! But I guess that's what keeps us hooked....

20 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

I'm off to try a dark(ish) site tonight. My wife's cousin lives on a farm which is about 25mins away and well away from street lights etc.  I have been talking to her about leaving my Dob there in one of their sheds. My only concern from a daytime visit is that they have security lights all over the place and I'm not sure that I can find a suitable spot for the scope. I will find out later....

Nice! I've been offered the same on a neighbour's farm but am not sure with all the machinery/livestock, etc...I am sure if you have a word with them they will show you where the light switches are - better you are there to keep an eye on things! :)

Archived